We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Greymouth?

California
Level Contributor
145 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Greymouth?

I'll be arriving at Greymouth via the Tranzalpine around 1PM and hiring a car. The Punakaiki rocks won't be at high tide until 19:17, so I'm going to kill a little time at Coal Creek Falls. However, I don't think that will take all afternoon.

Are there any other photographic/scenery type side trips or sites I could see in the afternoon near Greymouth to kill more time before high tide?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Greymouth?

Not so much Greymouth, but just north of Punakaiki is a walk called the Truman Track : http://www.punakaiki.co.nz/walks/

I would suggest also that you get to Punakaiki Rocks say an hour before high tide too and just wander around.

Enjoy your travels.

California
Level Contributor
145 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Greymouth?

Great I will check it out!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Greymouth?

The entire drive to Punakaiki and a few kilometers beyond will be enough to use your entire memory card if it is natural photos that you are looking for. Don't forget to check out the sun set over the Tasman sea, there is a chance you may get to see a stunning sunset, every sunset is a we bit different.

The road is narrow and windy two way road, make sure that when you do stop to take in the scenery, that you find a suitable place to pull off to be clear of the road

4. Re: Things to do in Greymouth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:19