We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we get off the Tranzalpine at Lake Brunner?

Which Greymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we get off the Tranzalpine at Lake Brunner?

Hi We are coming to NZ in Ma and planning on doing the Tranzalpine train trip. we have previously been up the West Coat of NZ and spent some time at Greymouth so are considering doing the longer stop at Lake Brunner/Moana rather than taking the train all the way to Greymouth. Will we miss much on the train trip by doing this? What are any must sees at Lake Brunner/Moana?Thanks for your help

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we get off the Tranzalpine at Lake Brunner?

Main thing you'll miss is the train ride beside the Grey river - the exact same thing you can see by car and the railtrack follows the road. This certainly isn't the most scenic part of the trip and the train goes really really slowly for the last bit.

Lake Brunner is a very nice lake. There is a nice walk at Iveagh Bay up Te Kinga. There are several options - there is a lookout about 30 minutes in or you can chose to walk further. There are signs along the beginning of the track that tell you all about the trees which is quite interesting. There is another nice walk on the other side of the lake just past Mitchells - Carew Falls. It's about 15-30 minutes one way depending on your fitness. Hard to get to without a car I think. There's also a nice easy walk over the swing bridge I think.

It's a good spot for fishing (trout) if that takes your fancy.

There are lots of watersports - kayaking, water skiing, jet skiing etc - but I'm not sure what is available for hire (I've always gone with friends who had their own).

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we get off the Tranzalpine at Lake Brunner?

Have you considered getting off at arthur's Pass? lots of alpine walks and alsokea to sea.

lake Brunner at Moana offers walks as mentioned above an eating and a drinking place, but not a lot of commercial activity.

It depends on what you want out of your new Zealand Holiday.

3. Re: Should we get off the Tranzalpine at Lake Brunner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:15