We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More July Drive Questions, conditions

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
324 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
More July Drive Questions, conditions

Are hiways 1 and 6 divided? Meaning, they are 2 lanes on either side, divided by a median? Are these 2 main roads highly maintained during bad weather in July? Is the road between Greymouth and Christchurch a 2 lane non divided road? Is the major roadway closed rarely? I know you cant plan for the 50 year storm, so I am looking for general info. Thanks again for my many questions......

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

The vast majority of roads in NZ are single lane, non divided roads.

Roads are fine in July, just if in the south be extra cautious of ice whilst in the mountains

California
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

>Are hiways 1 and 6 divided? Meaning, they are 2 lanes on either side, divided by a median?

I'm sorry, but this made me literally LOL. Their Hwy 1 (and Hwy 6) is like California's Hwy 1 as you drive up Big Sur.

>Are these 2 main roads highly maintained during bad weather in July?

Yes. New Zealand is very good about maintaining their roads at all times.

>Is the road between Greymouth and Christchurch a 2 lane non divided road?

Yes

>Is the major roadway closed rarely?

If there is a closure on the roads you have mentioned, it's usually of short duration. Milford Road tends to have longer closures.

When you rent your car, rent snow chains as well. Be sure they show you how to put them on. You will probably never have to use them.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

Not only are the roads just two lane (one in each direction) but they have no real shoulders. They are in great shape and well signed including the many, many one lane bridges. Our favorite spot was a roundabout just after a one lane bridge. The bridge had railway tracks on the road and the railway tracks went through the roundabout. (There are few trains and little traffic!)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

When I lived in Greymouth (2005) there was a one lane bridge (not one lane each way, but one lane total) shared by cars and trains. I think it was on SH 6. Always made me nervous, if you were on it and a train entered it from the far end I guess you had to reverse back across it faster than the train was moving :-) Luckily it never happened to me. I think it's been replaced since.

California
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

No, it's still there! Or it most certainly was when we crossed it on our trip Dec '12. I think you can see far enough ahead to see if a train is coming.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,826 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

One lane bridges on two way roads not uncommon. And shared train and car bridges still exist. Most roads outside urban areas are two laned i.e. one lane in each direction with no dividers. They can also be winding and cross over mountain areas. But they are well maintained. In winter road closures are not uncommon in some areas, particularly passes, due to wind, snow, ice, slips or flooding.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/9663804297/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157605363306815/

here are links to the train on the Taramakau bridge also pics of higway 73, photos taken summer and winter. July is mid winter, and full caution is required. watch forecasts, and take heed of all warnings and instructions.

make sure that when you hire your car, that you have snow chains, and that you have practiced fitting them on the car, not just on the wheel in the office.

make sur ethat you are flexible in your travel times, and travel routes which may pose delays early in your itinerary. do not travel too early in the morning or too late in the afternoons.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

The only significant stretch of divided highway in the entire South Island is Highway 1 for about the first 20 km north of Christchurch. Everywhere else, roads are to good two-lane standard, sometimes with an extra lane added to allow overtaking.

There is not enough traffic to justify building expensive divided highways.

The last 2 times I have been in the South Island in winter, there have been blizzards causing many road closures, but they were mostly re-opened within a day.

9. Re: More July Drive Questions, conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 03:15