We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle rental

Which Greymouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Cycle rental

Hi,

We are planning to do West Coast Cycle trail from Greymouth to Hokitika. We are a family of four: 2 adults (obviously) and 2 kids (10 and 6 years old).

Please tell me know from where we can rent bikes and what's the best shuttle to get back to Greymouth from Hokitika.

Thanks,

Binny.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycle rental

This is what I found in a quick google search http://www.westcoastrailtrail.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycle rental

Yes, this is the only link I found. They don't have the bikes for kids.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycle rental

Probably best to contact them directly and ask. Greymouth is a small town and if they know if a place that rents kids bikes they will let you know.

Greymouth
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycle rental

Yes we do rent bikes for kids and we even have a bike trailer for kids and tag a long bikes. Come and have a go!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycle rental

WORD OF CAUTION FIRST. We just did the West coast wilderness trail a few weeks ago. It is not completed yet and parts of it are not suitable for a 10 year old and 6 year old. It is NOT a rail trail and the company quoted above is a private company that has highly inflated prices.

The official website is http://www.westcoastwildernesstrail.co.nz/ We booked our own accommodation with Theatre royal in Kumara, Cowboy Paradise and Hokitika and paid a third of what the private company quoted. We used Wilderness trail shuttle for our car to be transported from Greymouth to Hokitika and our accommodation provider in Hokitika stored it for us free.

Parts of the trail are on open highway, with no shoulder and cars and trucks thundering past at 100km/h. My 18 year old son used his whole vocabulary of choice words when his bike shook from cars pasting too close.

There are stunning parts, there are very average parts. If I was to do it again I would base in Hokitika and do the lake kaniere water race (it is totally brillant), then I would bike the section from Kumara to Milltown. That is by far the best parts.

We had a great ride, with great company. But we did get electric shocks, had to climb fences which local farmers had obviously put up to stop people using the trail. We had to contend with road section. But it was enjoyable. There is a lot of climbing involved from Kumara to Cowboy Paradise as well.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycle rental

Just spoke to the three other people in our party who all agree that it isnt suitable for a 6 year old. Too many sections on the open narrow highway with no shoulder. Seriously consider staying in Hokitika and doing sections from there. You will enjoy it so much more I think.

Perhaps do a section along the greymouth flood wall. Then a section from Kumara to Milltown and lake kaniere, lake kaniere water race.

Hokitika is a wonder town - I dont recommend greymouth at all (grey river, grey town, and just grey). Hokitika on the other hand is quaint, great restaurants, great sunsets and fun exploring the beach.

7. Re: Cycle rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2017, 22:17