We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

Lucknow, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

we are 2 couples travelling to south island from 2to 8 june.we wanted hire a car (suv) but the car rental companies demand blocking of credit card (eg hertz NZD DOLLARS 3500).i do not have a high limit card and i am not sure if it is safe.

are the companies honest.is there option of cash deposit and do the rentals refund it if there is no major problem with the car.

can u recommend some companies.

should i book online or should i take the car directly at greymouth.

thanks

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

It is safe, but you might get charged some hidden bank fees. Unless you have comprehensive insurance with the rental company they would try and charge you for any minor damage which they can spot (their repair costs are also not cheap). If these no damage you would not be charged.

While I have not used them, Apex Rentals are quite widely recommended on these forums. They do not charge a bond if you pay by credit card. So they are worth considering.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

It is usual in any country to take a bond for rental vehicles. And rather than tie up large amounts of cash it is normal to take a credit card number and authority.

Lucknow, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

i am booking with hertz but they are demanding a credit card of high value since they want to block nzd 3500.but my travel agent has given a option of paying deposit of nzd 300 in cash which would be refunded later by cheque.

also is it advisable to take comprehensive insurance which is costing a additional nzd 40 per day

thanks for help

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

I would shop around, rental companies insurance is normally massively overpriced. If you already have travel insurance then the excess is normally covered by that.

The difference being, if these damage, and you have comprehensive coverage then that should be covered right away. If you go with third party insurance, then you would be charged for the damage, and you would have to claim it back from the insurance company you went with.

Even if you are fully covered with third party insurance, the agent would still try and sell your their companies insurance policy. They would use even trick in the book to try and get you to purchase it. Its basically pure profit for the rental company and the agents get a good commission.

5. Re: hiring vehicle .is credit card blocking must

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 20:15