We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Kaikoura to watch whales...

hong kong
Level Contributor
285 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To Kaikoura to watch whales...

Hi,

Just wonder if I should bring a pair of binoculars to see the whales. If it's a good idea, I have to borrow a pair fr my friends (haven't had 1 myself and I don't think I should buy 1 if I I only use it for 1 occasion). Thanks a lot !!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

Although you will be fairly close it's a good idea to have binoculars for the whales and also other wildlife you may see out there. Don't have them too strong, you just won't be able to hold them steady enough and if you're prone to motion sickness leave them behind. Believe me it's the quickest way to feed the fish!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

Hi Zappers,

Have you ben and done the whale watching at kaikoura yourself?

Planning a trip there at Easter from the sunny Hawkes Bay with children..just to see the whales... is it worth the effort?

Cheers,

Grant.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

Hello Grant from my home province (where do you live?)

yes I've done the whale watch a couple of times and enjoyed it immensley. But I enjoy the sea and boating so it was nothing new and I went with lower expectations than most. I know how fickle nature can be. We saw whales both times and hundreds of dolphins along with seals and birdlife. Once in the spring and once late summer(about now). It is an experience especially if you've held a life long wish to see a whale in it's natural habitat. Don't go just for the sake of it, you may be disappointed but if you're in the area or near then make an effort. If the kids are young(younger than 5 or 6)they may not enjoy it either.

4. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2008, 20:16
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

Dannevirke......Fiji??? That has got to be some major difference, I can see the appeal :) I was actually born in Wanstead but shifted to a farm near Greenmeadows when I was about 5.

6. Re: To Kaikoura to watch whales...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:20