We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any whales still around?

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
713 posts
578 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any whales still around?

Hi everyone,

We're planning to include Kaikoura in a campervan tour of the north part of south island during February.

We missed out on doing the whale watching trip last time we came over a few years ago and had set our hearts on this excursion this time.

But I'm reading in the Forum that whales were hard to find last year.

Is this still the case? Should we just forget it?

Dolphin Encounter
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kaikoura Kayaks
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wings Over Whales
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Air Tours
Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any whales still around?

Hi Brissle :)

to my knowledge the whales are as numerous as in other years. I think some visitors perhaps expect the extended playful breaching of the humpback they may have experienced in other parts of the world, while here the sperm whale will appear and then dive down for 45 minutes or so.

However as 95% of the trips see whales and for the other 5% they refund 80% of the fare, I feel you really have nothing to lose... except perhaps your breakfast if the sea is rough and your stomach queasy ;)

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
713 posts
578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any whales still around?

OK thanks for that reassurance.

We love boat trips anyway and have good sea legs, so will make sure we have a full cooked breakfast before we go.....

I assume that early morning is the best time to go - do we need to book the day before?

thanks

3. Re: Are there any whales still around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 07:15