We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

Hello there,

I'm visiting New Zealand in January and very keen to go Whale watching while in Kaikoura. Is there a better time of day to do this to see more whales or is it just luck of the draw?

Thanks, i'm getting so excited about the trip now!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

Probably when there is no wind and the sea is flat! Check the forecast a head. I think there is a regular supply of whales.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,227 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

Many people suggest that early in the morning gives better sea conditions (not necessarily more whales but a more comfortable ride).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

A sea breeze usually kicks in early afternoon and depending on the tide movement the sea can be choppy. Early morning is best (or early evening) that's when any sealife is out and about feeding.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

Thanks for all the replies, trip is now all booked and i'm very excited

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

The only way to see the whales is by helicopter - they do a great job at kk helicopters - 97% strike rate and you see the whole whale from above not just a puff or a little hump or a tail if it goes down - more expensive but worth it - very moving experience

Auckland, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

do you know where we can book the whales watch? we are going down to Kaikoura on 7th April and will stay there for one night, Leave the town to chrischurch on 3:00 pm 8th April by train.

7. Re: Is there a better time of day to go whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:41