We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which company for dolphin swimming?

Which Kaikoura hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
which company for dolphin swimming?

Any thoughts anyone? any bad experiences with either "Dolphin encounters" or "Dolphin watch"?

thank you in advance

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Rotorua - seeing the thermal thingies really -want to see steam, bubbling mud, exploding geisers, that kind of thing... not planning to do any sporty stuff as no time for that. But if you have any suggetsions of "Must sees" or "Must do's" i am open to suggestions

- The next day i am flying to SI, picking up a campervan in Picton/nelson/blenheim (tbc) and driving to Waikoura - possibly to get there by 1530 (3.30pm)for the whale boat...

The glow worms north of R sound good - is there a boat ride on a cave lake too or is just caves?

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Thanks Zappers - have looked into Okere falls just now as you suggested - not much info on the web - are the glow worms just hanging around in the bush or are they in a cave please?

Thanks for all your help and advice. I have definitely scrapped the idea of going to Waitomo and we will concentrate on Rotorua and maybe stay overnight at Okere as it doesnt seem to be far from the airport for our flight the next morning.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Re the glow worms, yes they are just hanging around the bush and the banks, there is a narrow track that follows the Kaituna river along it's bank. This track has the river on one side and high bush-clad banks on the other with overhangs here and there covered in glowworms, towards the end there are a few small caves with worms as well. Nothing commercial, anyone can visit them.

It really isn't far to the airport from anywhere in Rotorua but If you decide to stay near the worms (you'll need to see them at dusk or later) then there are some lovely looking B&Bs at Okere Falls overlooking Lake Rotoiti. Some of these people will take their vistors on the walk I'm sure.

If I was you with such a short time in Rotorua I would visit Fairy Springs tourism.net.nz/region/…17317 ,it's on the way into Rotorua from Auckland (direct route) then on to one of the thermal areas, either www.whakarewarewa.com/ this is in town on the way to Okere Falls or www.hellsgate.co.nz/ which is very near Okere Falls.

If you decide against the worms then either visit the Polynesian Spa for a thermal swim in the evening or do The Tamaki Village night show.

All of this will give you a quick insight into NZ wildlife, mud & geysers and Maori culture, than you can lay back and enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

Thank you - inspirational!

Kaikoura, NZ
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

I know this question was asked a long time ago, but for others reference, there is only one company that does dolphin watchin/ swimming in Kaikoura, Dolphin Encounter. It operates all year round, weather dependant, wetsuits etc provided (thick ones). it is rare not to see dolphins, summer has the large pods in very close and they can often be seen from the road south of Kaikoura. They are a very professional company and provide warm drinks and biscuits for the swimmers to warm up afterwards. Water temp in winter averages around 9 degrees celcius, in summer upwards from 14 degrees. But hey, you don't feel it with with all the rush and excitement of swimming with dolphins!

london
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

thank you! we did it with them and they were so professional and it was GREAT - just magical - EVERYONE must do it.

17. Re: which company for dolphin swimming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:15