We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Which Hervey Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blue Mountains, NSW
14 posts
Save Topic
Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi,

we want to spend some time on Fraser Island in mid-January2012 with our 4 kids (6,9,14&18).

We are debating wether to hire a 4x4 and go camping or rent a holiday house in Orchid Beach.

How long should we stay (thinking 5 days)? Would that get to much/boring for kids? We're renting a house in Rainbow beach for a week as well.

Any advise would be great!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi Bella,

In January Fraser Island will be very busy.

There are a lot of camping grounds, but with the expected crowds, the grounds will be packed. Ques for the toilet and shower ammenities will be long, and there will be lack of decent spots to pitch your tent, and with a family of 6 I would head for the house rental.

Camping grounds -

www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/camping.html

House rentals -

stayz.com.au/accommodation/…fraser-island

http://www.fraserislandrentals.com/

As a family we would take our children to Fraser for 2 to 3weeks, your kids will have a ball. And if you're holidaying at Rainbow Beach for a week, and you don't believe they will get bored there, then they will definitely not get bored on Fraser. Just keep an eye on the younger ones as the main beach and the tracks are gazetted roads, and can get very busy.

Have a look at the TA shortcut below -

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g255078-Activ…

IMO I would hire your 4 x 4, rent a house, get some rods and have a great trip.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 01 October 2011, 11:03
Blue Mountains, NSW
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Thank you Robert,

we are going to rent a house(hoping to stay at K'Gari) and definitely take the fishing rods!!

Appreciate your quick response and helpful links!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi Bella,

Nice choice.

Don't forget your licence.

www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/about.html

…qld.gov.au/parks/…fraser-island-map.pdf

Get your licence early, they do take their time, but you get a good pack.

And if you haven't driven on sand before, remember to let your tyres down to about 20psi just before your ferry journey.

If the weather is a bit windy on the eastern shore to enjoy the beach, just simply take a short drive to the western shore. There's a track just behind K'Gari which leads to Wathumba Creek on the western shore about 7klms.

Just one of many tracks.

Enjoy Fraser.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 02 October 2011, 02:27
Blue Mountains, NSW
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Thanks Robert, we're really excited!

Do you know if there are any beaches where we could spot sea turtles nesting/hatching? or should we plan a trip to Mon Repos as part of our 3 week trip?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi Bella,

The only place I have seen turtles on Fraser, was by walking to the point on Indian Head. You need to decide if you take the young ones on this walk, some sttep drop offs. But I have never seen them on the beach, but then I always go to Fraser in August or September. And I have never heard any of my friends say they have seen turtles on Fraser's beaches. I could stand corrected, but with the amount of vehicles go up and down the eastern shore, even if there were turtles it would drive them away. The eastern shore, sorry I can't help.

I believe there are turtle viewing tours from Hervye Bay, I have no idea where they go or what they do, or if their any good, and whether you see the hatchings on the beach???

I have seen plenty of long necks, fresh water turtles in the fresh water lakes on Fraser.

IMO If I was going to look for turtles (sea turtles) especially on the beach, I would head to Mon Repos and spend the night.

…qld.gov.au/parks/mon-repos/pdf/mon-repos-cp…

I forgot to tell you, if you do go to the western shore, even just to see it, take bug spray. Last time I was there, we pulled in for a loo stop, the ammenities are in a bit of shade, OMG, I have never see so many sand flys, just go back in to the sun.

If you need any further help, just post or send private mail.

Good luck and safe travels Robert

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi Bella,

Re Turtles ... you will not see turtles on the Eastern side of Fraser (nesting)... they will not come through surf ... the only beach they nest on Fraser is the beach at the northern tip between Rooney Point and the lighthouse.. you can only access this beach by boat..

A trip to Mon Repos is well worth while... the turtle nesting is an awesome experience and the kids will thoroughly enjoy the adventure

Rob

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Make sure you take the kids to the Champagne pools, so beautiful, mine didn't want to leave.....and yes the sand flies, watch out for them we had heaps of them annoying us, had to cover up with towels quite a few times.

Enjoy Fraser, its a special place...

Blue Mountains, NSW
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Thanks Ellie,

Champagne pools do sound great. A friend suggested Skin-so-soft body lotion (Avon) against the sandflies-apparently it is the only thing that really worked when they were faced with that problem in Borneo. Will definitely give it a try.

Blue Mountains, NSW
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Hi Emeraldine,

any suggestions on where to stay near Mon Repos?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fraser Island with kids- camping versus holiday house

Just east of Bundaberg, at Bargara or a little further north at Burnett Heads.

Bargara has a good variety of apartment accommodation and a safe beach.

There's a great children's playground on the esplanade there too, your younger children would love playing there. It has a turtle theme.

The turtles at Mon Repos are usually hatching in January, so a good time to visit.

LTB