We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

Which Hervey Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

We wish to spend a 2-3 nights in Hervey Bay (whale watch and Fraser Island day tours) following a few days in Airlie Beach/Whitsundays and before flying homeward to North America from Brisbane. One option that I have looked at is to fly from Proserpine to Brisbane then pick up rental car and drive north to HB with possibly 1-2 nights stop on Sunshine Coast (?Noosa). Another option might be to pick up rental car in Airlie and drive south to Hervey Bay before continuing the drive southward through Sunshine coast and ending in Brisbane. Does anyone have any thoughts on which choice might be more preferred? What is the drive/scenery like between Airlie and Hervey Bay? I believe the drive is about 9 hours which is probably the same amount of time it would take us to check in for flight in Proserpine from Airlie, fly to Brisbane, pick up rental car and drive to HB. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

Hi Banditoo,

The trip from Airlie is about 10 hours ... you can stop half way in Yeppoon to break up the trip, but otherwise there is little of interest on the way (though it is a pretty easy drive).

The drive from Brisbane to Hervey Bay, however, has lots to see and do, so if you have time to slip a day or 2 into the itinerary I would do the fly / drive option. Our Blog entry here has lots of info on the things to do on the way to Hervey Bay from Brisbane emeraldene.com.au/blog/…

Rob

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

Thanks Rob. Your blog has some great ideas to see on the drive. We would likely drive up the coastal route and then possibly back down the inland route by Maleny and Monteville to see something different each direction.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 05:03
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

This sounds a great option as the are many road works between airlie and Hervey Bay at the moment and a 10 hour drive can turn into 14 on a bad day. No interstate roads like the states. Don't drive from airlie. Hervey Bay is just lovely. Don't miss a quick trip to Fraser Island. Monteville is lovely also and so is Noosa and the whole Sunshine Coast area. You might also like to drop into Steve Irwin's zoo at beewah. So much to see in that whole area. I might be bias as I live in the area. If you are in maryborough on the last Sunday of the month there are quaint little model trains you can ride for $1 just bring closed in shoes.... Queens park maryborough. September has the best weather in my opinion.

4. Re: Drive or fly to HB from Airlie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 07:18