We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp or stay in accommodation on Fraser Island, Fraser Coast

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Camp or stay in accommodation on Fraser Island, Fraser Coast

I'm travelling to Fraser with my husband and another couple in early November and we can't work out whether we should camp or just stay in proper accommodation. Anyone who has experienced camping on Fraser, or ideally both options and can give us an opinion and any recommendations re campsites or accommodation I'd be very grateful. About us and our trip:

We're all early 30's, no kids, no health considerations

We're staying 3 nights

Budget isn't really a factor

We're coming from Whitsundays, where we're staying in beach cottages, so a different experience would be good

Concerns re camping are around toilet/washing and cooking facilities - quality of/how busy/accessibility and creep crawlies (i'm a British wimp)

Want as much of a escape/retreat as possible, i.e. don't want to be in a busy resort ideally and want to avoid lots of families with children (sorry!)

Main purpose is to explore as much of the island as poss

We will have our own 4WD vehicle to get about

Thanks! Gill

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp or stay in accommodation on Fraser Island, Fraser Coast

Hi,

Whose 4 x 4 will be using, is it the other couples personal 4 x 4? Most 4 x 4 rentals are not allowed on Fraser Island.

Have you or the other couple driven on soft sand beaches, let alone and I doubt Fraser Island. If not, you'll need to be prepared, at least have a tyre gauge, snatch strap and jerry can. Fraser Island can be very difficult to drive on for those who have never driven on such soft sand, especially on the inland tracks, and IMO the most difficult are between Indian Head and Orchid Beach.

Tyre gauge for letting your tyres down to around 18psi, the snatch strap because you WILL get bogged, and the jerry can for extra fuel.

If you don't want to many kids around, and budgets not an issue, have you thought of staying a rental house.

http://www.orchidbeachrentals.com/

http://www.fraserisland.au.com/holidayhomes/

You will need a vehicle permit - …qld.gov.au/recreation-areas/vehicle_access_…

Read the information at the link below, and the links on the web site, and it has a good overall map thoroughly - nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/index.html

The beach on Fraser Island is a gazetted road with all the rules and regulations that go with being a official road.

The most important question you need to answer, is the vehicle privately owned or a rental, if it's a rental who did you rent it from??

Robert

Edited: 30 August 2014, 21:45
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp or stay in accommodation on Fraser Island, Fraser Coast

ditto above

read all the Fraser replies if you do not have any sand driving experience.

If you camp - have you got all your camp equipment? Cooking facilities are what you bring with you. There are camps with toilet facilities- but they are basic. If you are camping near backpackers its often just as noisy...

Beach houses at Eurong are a good option.

3. Re: Camp or stay in accommodation on Fraser Island, Fraser Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:16