We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and shops in Mangere

lincolnshire
10 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Hi,

wonder if anyone can help? I will be staying at Oakwood Manor Inn early Feb and would like to know what is available nearby in the way of dining. I have read somewhere that there are some shops/rests about 4 blocks away.

I would be really grateful if anyone can provide me instructions or advise a website for local map

thanking you in anticipation

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

There are shops etc nearby to where you are staying, but you need to be aware that Mangere is not a particularly good suburb of Auckland, and its not going to be the most enjoyable or necessarily most safe suburb to walk around at night.

For local eating, my recommendation would be to get a taxi (or drive if you have a car) to either Onehunga (Claret restaurant in Onehunga Mall is particularly good) or if you want to go a little further afield, maybe to Ellerslie or Epsom.

Mangere to Onehunga will take you about 10 minutes by car.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

I agree with Andychef that Mangere is not a good suburb to be staying in particularly if you are not familiar with the area. Therefore you should definately use a taxi, especially at night.

lincolnshire
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Thanks very much:-)

I phoned the hotel direct from UK and receptionist said there wasn't a restaurant onsite, but I have since received an email from manakau tourist info to say they have checked this with hotel and they assure there IS a restaurant onsite.

Seems strange to me that I was so advised by hotel. Why would they say there wasn't one if there indeed is one??...strange

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Their website says there is a licensed restaurant and bar

http://www.oakwoodmanor.co.nz/facilities.php

I don't actually know that particular hotel, so couldn't say from personal experience.

perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Hey there! I'm Aussie and stayed at this place during transit in Auckland. Husband booked it after seeing website and it was reasonably priced. We had a little problem locating shuttle bus from airport, you need to find Info Centre and use free-phone, dial the number on noticeboard to get thru to Oakwood. We went to Number 8 gate and waited for shuttle. It arrived 10 mins later. The Oakwood's about 10 mins from airport. Nice on outside, but room is very basic indeed. Had microwave, fridge and basic kitchen utensils as well as shower/toilet. Unfortunately it was very humid and there is no airconditioning or ceiling fan... and the 2 windows opened such a tiny way that it was very uncomfortable. They have a restaurant onsite but we decided we wouldn't eat there. We walked down a side street and after about 20 min got to a mall which had McDonalds - not our choice of meal but we couldn't be bothered finding somewhere else. Did feel that it may not have been the safest place to wander around in, we ate and caught a taxi back. I wouldn't stay here again... they really do need to do a lot of work on the rooms.. well we did stay in budget accomm, maybe the other rooms had better facilities. Good Luck!

Auckland
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Why are you staying there? Although very close to the airport, that is the extent of it's good points. It really is no more than a good transit hotel. The area is very low socio-economic, and the local street gangs are pathetic versions of the US ones, with the same attitudes. The 'restaurants' four blocks away are in the midst of the area, & you don't want to eat there unless you have no option.

You will need a taxi for any trip, as the 4 blocks are really almost 4km.

If you want to enjoy your stay, head for the CBD, Ponsonby area (very near the city) or Mission Bay. Shuttles every 15mins cheaply service the airport 24hrs a day from all these spots.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

Dadzun, your post is a bit late mate. They were staying there early Feb but from the look of the previous posts I think they would have got the message.

perth
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

You guys are right! I've read advice on this site before travelling.. wish I'd read up on Mangere BEFORE visiting! Anyways, hopefully this will help other travellers make wise decisions in the future. I've heard nice things about NZ from other travellers, so I know there are definitely many good points about the place... Hoping to see more of it one day!!

9. Re: Restaurants and shops in Mangere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Mangere
More Mangere Topics