We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights in Mangere

Which Mangere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights in Mangere

Oh dear,just read the post about restaurants in Mangere.

We are staying there for two nights in March.Thought it a good idea as its near the airport and we could collect car day after arrival and have a break before onward travel.

It would seem its not the place to be!!!.Have things improved with the area?or would it still be advisable to get taxi to a restaurant or are buses safe to use?.

Thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights in Mangere

Mangere covers a large area and there are parts of it which are really quite rough and other areas (such as the Northern area around the regional Park) which are okay.

I am guessing that you are staying in Mangere South near the airport? It is fairly industrial down that way and there isn't a lot of options with regards to dining. I can think of a few reasonably nice bars and cafes in the area, but really I think the best dining is to be found closer to the central city. A taxi is probably your safest option at night, but it will also get very expensive. In fact it would probably be cheaper to organise the rental car for as soon as you arrive and then use that to get around.

If you have not paid anything yet for your accommodation. Consider changing your booking. If you are arriving really late into Auckland, perhaps just stay one night in the airport hotel and another night in the central city. If you are arriving in Auckland during a reasonable daylight hour, hire your car and head straight into the city. Once in the city, a large number of restaurants and attractions will be accessible by foot.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 21:58
UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights in Mangere

Oskar

thank you.

Have arranged car hire for next morning,so will have transport for that day,its just the first evening when we arrive that we may be stuck. We are being collected from the airport and are staying at Airport B and B in Westney Road.

Will consider what you have suggested,ie changing booking and perhaps staying just one night.

thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights in Mangere

You're welcome.

There is a pub called the Toby Jug Inn on the nearby Montgomerie Road that would be perfectly suitable for dinner on your first night. It's pretty standard pub fare, but it's in a reasonably safe industrial area and would only cost you a few dollars for a taxi fare.

Edited: 24 January 2010, 23:10
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two nights in Mangere

The area that you are staying is really more like Airport Oaks than Mangere itself.

It is a fairly non-descript rather industrial kind of area near the airport, but not too bad from a safety point of view, and as the last post said, you can easily nip to the Toby Jug Inn for dinner (your B&B hosts might even drop you there), so you should be fine.

So I would stick with your booking for the 1st night....

The main negative about the area is that it is actually nowhere near Auckland city itself (its about a 40 minute drive), but if you want a fairly relaxing day on your 1st full day, you could easily just do a couple of things in the local area - Villa Maria Winery & Butterfly Creek, both of which are great, and also you are only a 10-15 minute drive from Onehunga (which has some nice cafes and restaurants + good shopping), and One Tree Hill/Cornwall Park area, which is a beautiful suburban park and a great place to spend a few hours ( Cornwall Park also houses the Auckland Observatory).

So, overall, I wouldn't be too worried about sticking with your booking if the stuff above sounds suitable for filling your 1st day in the country.

UK
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two nights in Mangere

Excellent news guys

many thanks indeed for the help,that has put my mind at rest.

I did realise it was not close to the city,but as we are both into our early 60's and not arriving until late afternoon after a 24 hour flight,just did not fancy a drive into the city centre.

regards

chris

6. Re: Two nights in Mangere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Mangere
More Mangere Topics