We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

6 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

We want to spend a full day in the park, kayaking, swimming, walking etc. We were going to spend 2 nights in Nelson, going to the park early and going back to Nelson at the end of the day. Is this silly ? Should we stay closer to the park ?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

I would stay closer to the park, especially if you have been out all day doing activities. You will want to get back, shower, have a drink and relax and not be driving all the way back to Nelson. I don't think you will have any difficulty finding suitable accommodation closer to the park.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

We are planning to visit Abel Tasman Nat. Park next year so have been researching distances, accommodation etc. We've found a place called Ocean View Chalets at Marahau which is adjacent to the National Park. Check out the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Their web address is www.accommodationabeltasman.co.nz

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

Marahau would be the perfect place to stay - the closest you can get the park with all the activities in walking distance.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

I definitely second the recommendation for the Ocean View Chalets. We had a fabulus stay with excellent views. (see review at : http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255116-d318028-r4477039-Ocean_View_Chalets-South_Island.html)

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

I would definitely recommend the Ocean View Chalets as well. The cabins are very nice and have amazing views of the water. The park is within walking distance.

We were only able to stay one night, due to issues with our rental car not being available. When we make it back to NZ, we will definitely make it a longer stay at the Ocean View Chalets.

6. Re: Getting to Abel Tasman National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Nelson
Recent Conversations
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question