We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 2008 Travel

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Planning 2008 Travel

Hello everyone

I am planning a self-drive holiday, with some friends, for about four weeks in North and South Islands. Being in the education field, my longer and longest school holidays are in Dec/Jan and June/July respectively. I prefer to travel in winter. I am thinking of starting from North Island and finishing my holiday in South Island.

Please advise if renting a campervan is a good idea or not, especially in winter. Also, I would appreciate your input on the activities that we could get involved in and the places we should not miss. Are road maps available outside of NZ?

Thank you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 2008 Travel

Hi Keen-travlor,

Obviously travelling NZ in winter it is going to be cold and raining. Personally, I would find it too cold in a campervan and very restricting if it is raining a lot - but that is my personal opinion. We have been to New Zealand 3 times for 3 weeks at a time. Once to drive the North Island, and twice in the South Island.

You should have a look at the Jasons webpages. Just google Jasons New Zealand. You can order free brochures, maps etc. and there is lots of information. Maybe do some more research. If you opt for summertime, it would be better in campervans. You may be just a bit early for the snow skiing season, varies from year to year though. New Zealand has so much to do, lots of scenery, hiking, adventure things. It really depends on what you enjoy doing. Just keep reading the forums for more ideas. Good luck!

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 2008 Travel

The South Island is niceer in terms of scenery. But the roads are small and winding and some of the passes can get blocked by snow in the winter. Nelson and the Able Tasman, the west Coats and the Glaciers, Queenstown and the Milford sounds are all places to hit in the south island (I lived there for 12 years)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 2008 Travel

It will be cold in a camper van in winter, and you can get a lot of condensation. Personally I would hire a car and stay in motels or B&B's. Nothing like a warm room and bed at the end of the day sight seeing.

As for road maps, yes you can buy them online from the AA website. I've heard of other people on here who have bought them online and said they got them in the post very quickly.

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/index.php

4. Re: Planning 2008 Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Nelson