We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vineyards of Marlborough region

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney , Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
vineyards of Marlborough region

Which is the best place to stay to spend time in the vineyards of Malborough, Nelson or Picton?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
964 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vineyards of Marlborough region

Marlborough is where most of the wineries are in that region; my Picton wine tour went to Marlborough.

If it's for a day, you could start out in Nelson and just plan on a longer ride. Why not stay in Blenheim? Personally I find Nelson more interesting, but Picton can be convenient.

There are great wineries all over the country though, so no need to limit yourself.

Edited: 29 October 2010, 06:05
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vineyards of Marlborough region

Nelson, Picton and Blenheim are all equally convenient to the vineyards.

I think a tour the best way to explore as then you are able to freely sample the excellent wines.

And if you are venturing further south, Wanaka, Bannockburn and Queenstown all offer tours to many excellent boutique vineyards in the area. The Pinot Noir is particularly fabulous :)

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vineyards of Marlborough region

give us your plans as there are so many good spots.....wanaka is correct in mentioning the Otago if you can make that area but the interactive province of nelson is more likely to have the lot in one place.

picton is a bit sad unless going to the Sounds or Queen charlotte walk.

To answer your question ...time best spent is Nelson if thats your whole choice.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vineyards of Marlborough region

Here is an old thread that may help you decide on wineries;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k1200…

5. Re: vineyards of Marlborough region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Nelson