We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in Nelson for one week, any advice?

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
140 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday in Nelson for one week, any advice?

Hi, we are a family of 7 - 4 grandparents, my husband, my 4 year old and me. We will be in Nelson for one week during xmas/new year holiday. Accomodation is booked (in the city) and now just trying to figure out what we should do. We will have 2 rentals.

Currently the rough plan is to spend some time on the beach on a nice day, then one day we will go to Motueka and drive up to the Spit, another two days we will go to the two National Parks nearby. Are there any must-dos that we shouldn't miss? I would've loved to do the Queen Charlotte track but my boy is a bit young for that, so maybe another year!

Also we would have liked to do some fishing, except I don't have much luck looking for a fishing charter.

Any advice appreacited - I know we won't have problem finding things to do, but it would be good to get some local/expert advice on what's best to do for a family in Nelson!

Thanks in advance

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in Nelson for one week, any advice?

Gosh travelyun

I am tired just reading everything you want to do.

Okay - accomodation - check - booked.

Spend some time in Nelson - beach is great. On a Saturday I think (memory a bit rusty) there is a market in Nelson. Also a smaller one in Motueka on a Sunday morning.

Would suggest one day trip - go to Motueka - then on to Kaiteriteri for a beach day. If you find Kaiteri too busy come back a little bit towards Motueka and there is a lovely beach called Stephen's Bay - not a lot of sand at high tide but great at low tide. You can fish off the rocks to your right (looking at the sea) at low tide (BUT WATCH THE INCOMING TIDE) - don't get caught out there. You won't get huge fish but great for kids who want a nibble on a line.

Another day trip - head through Motuaka - over Marble Mountian to Takaka - have a look around - then head via collingwood out to the spit. You can also come back a little bit (just before the main entrance to the tourist centre at the spit) and cross over to the West coast side and visit Wharariki Beach. Its a bit of a walk but great when you get there - very remote but not much good if a strong westerly is blowing. Or come back a bit and stop at Pakawau.

Further option for day trip - head through to Takaka again but instead head towards Pohara and onto Tata Beach - a great swimming beach but sharp drop off. Not good in a westerly. If Tata beach is no good keep travelling on to Totoranui - long drive but great beach. YOu will need to take all your supplies for the day in as there is no shop or very limited supplies.

Back the other way from Nelson you have a day in the Sounds - long drive but worth it - lots of places to choose from but an easy one to get to is Anakiwa. Nice beach with a jetty.

Well those are just some ideas from the many holidays I have had in the area with my own family and from when I was a kid. There is lots to do and see in the area and I am sure you will leave with just as much not done as done. BUT do take some time to just enjoy - its a lovely area. It will be busy though as half of CHCH goes there for their summer break.

cheers

Kiwi

2. Re: Family holiday in Nelson for one week, any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Nelson