We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

I will be spending Christmas with my son in the Abel Tasman area. He will be returning to Wellington on December 26 and I would like to continue on with an exploration of the Otago penninsula without going through Queenstown (which will, I imagine be packed between Christmas and New Years) and because I am travelling alone and don't know the territory, I don't want to rent a car. Is there a way to do this by bus or train or would I be better off to return to Wellington and then fly to Dunedin?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

You can fly Nelson to Dunedin - you will need to change planes in Chch or Wellington. Check grabaseat for availability http://grabaseat.co.nz/

or you can bus - Intercity (there are other options) will get you from Nelson at 8.15am to Blenheim to Christchurch (2 hour layover and change of bus) to Dunedin by 11.05 pm

I think it would be nice done over two days - Nelson to Chch and then Chch to Dunedin.

Happy planning :)

canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Very helpful. Thank you so much. I agree about the 2 days - maybe more. It's not much fun arriving in an unknown city at midnight.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Hello,

Another possible option is to take the coastal pacific train from Picton to Christchurch - they have a bus service from Nelson to Picton to connect with the train. Then you could coach/bus from Christchurch to Dunedin (no train service between CHC and Dunedin).

It is a lovely scenic trip down the coast on the train with the option to move around and enjoy the cafe car on board.

The websites for the coastal train:

http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz/#nogo

http://www.railnewzealand.com/trains/

Both sites give travel info, timetables, pricing, etc.

Happy planning:)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Easiest to return to .wellington and fly to Dunedin. .there is no direct flight from Nelson to

dunedin. Go to air new zealand website to get flight info. It is a long car, bus or train trip. About 12 hours.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Exploring the Peninsular when you get here might be a bit tricky without a car to get into all the nooks and crannies and to take it at your own pace. Maybe you could get one for a day just to do that?

I second the train suggestion, and encourage everyone with the slightest interest in trains to use it as it might be a matter of use it or lose it. If you really wanted to get to Dunedin in a day, you could fly from Christchurch although for the time the flight takes, it is a bit pricey (looking like $100 minimum after Christmas and early into the New Year).

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Agree with NZ Barry. You would need car in

dunedin.

the airport is a lot way from city. About 40 minutes or more depending on traffic.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

Dunedin airport offers both bus and taxi to the city.

Once in Dunedin, if staying at a central location it is easy enough to take the bus, taxi or tour option to everything you want to explore. Plus it is a great city to walk around due to the lovely heritage architecture.

So I think you will be fine exploring Dunedin sans car :)

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
203 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

If you have the time I would opt for the train to ChCh then bus to Dunedin doing it over 2 days.

The landscape changes alot between Nelson and Dunedin and it will give you a chance to see more of the countryside.

9. Re: Nelson to Dunedin without a car. Is this possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Nelson
Recent Conversations