We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Nights in Nelson then what?

Which Nelson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Maitland...
Level Contributor
123 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
6 Nights in Nelson then what?

My husband and I have 6 nights in Nelson as my husband will be attending a seminar. We have 3 days/2nights before we fly out from Christchurch suggestions on how to fill these days/nights. Should we head straight to Christchurch and use that as our base or stop along the way? Suggestions please........

East Maitland...
Level Contributor
123 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 6 Nights in Nelson then what?

So looking at the link for the map, thanks WLnz, thinking Christchurch, Kaikoura, Picton, Golden Bay, St Arnaud, Hanmer Springs, Christchurch this is the route. Suggestions on where we should stay as in towns and how long and what to see, we don't want to rush just want to enjoy the break, the scenery etc.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
627 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 6 Nights in Nelson then what?

Just wanted to give you a heads-up for another brewery. When we went wine tasting in Blenheim this past March, we also popped into Moa Brewery because they make my husband's favorite dark beer, Moa Imperial Stout. It's close to St. Clair, Cloudy Bay, Wairau River, Forrest Estates, Nautilus Estates, Giesen, Hans Herzog wineries. So many wineries in Marlborough! It's NZ's largest wine region.

Moa has had financial difficulties, so hopefully it will still be around by the time you get here. It makes award-winning beer.

If touring Marlborough wineries, don't miss Yealands because of its striking seaside location.

In the Nelson wine region, actually Upper Moutere, don't miss Neudorf. Totally stand-out Chardonnay. Beautiful winery. There's also a lovely restaurant nearby:

http://www.jellyfishmapua.co.nz/

If going to Golden Bay, don't miss Wharariki Beach.

goldenbaynz.co.nz/walks/…

If you drive from Kaikoura to Christchurch, don't miss the wineries of Waipara (Greystone/Muddy Water, Pegasus Bay, Waipara Springs to name a few).

http://www.waiparawine.co.nz/tourism

I hope you'll have time to visit the south, not only for its wine and food, but because of the memorable landscapes. The Central Otago wine region is entirely different from that of Marlborough.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 6 Nights in Nelson then what?

write out a plan

day 1 arrive Chch

day 2 drive to Kaikoura....

add where you want to go and see if you have any days left over - then play around as needed.

East Maitland...
Level Contributor
123 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 6 Nights in Nelson then what?

Thanks PassarinhoAzul, my hubby loves Moa beers too and hopefully they will still be operating in November. At this stage thinking of going Hanmer Springs then up to Nelson, Picton, Kaikoura but not sure how many days to stay at each, thinking 1 night should suffice in Hanmer Springs but do I have 2 nights or 3 in Nelson and same in Picton for us to visit Marlborough Sound and the wineries etc, I will do some more research but what are the things we should definitely see, I know I need more time!

15. Re: 6 Nights in Nelson then what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Nelson