We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bay of Islands to Rotorua

Which Russell hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Bay of Islands to Rotorua

I am heading to NZ in April and am flying in to Auckland where I have 8 nites before I need to head to Rotorua for work. My plan was to stay in Auckland for 2 nites then head up to Russell for 3 nites and then make my way to Rotorua. As it seems like a very long drive from Russell to Rotorua I was wanting to stop for a few nites midway but not sure where.

Any suggestions? Does this itinerary sound feasible?

Thanks for the feedback.

Tania

Hokianga North...
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bay of Islands to Rotorua

Hi, it is an 8 hour drive from boi to rotorua, I would suggest stopping somewhere north of Auckland like Orewa then pushing on teh next day the rst of the way.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bay of Islands to Rotorua

I think 8 hours is slightly overstating the distance - it is 6.5 hours from Paihia to Rotorua, a little further from Russell as you need to get the car ferry at the start of the journey.

So, probably 7 hours total.

I agree that Orewa would be a pretty good stopping off point if you did want to break the journey.

3. Re: From Bay of Islands to Rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Russell