We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

My fiance and I are heading up to Russell to honeymoon, from the Auckland airport, via bus. Now, does anyone know if the ferry has luggage restrictions? Will they allow us to bring mammoth suitcases on board? And also, is it a tough trek from the bus stop to the ferry?

Once in Russell, we wanted to go out to Waitangi and up to the lighthouse on the Cape. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to get to the treks from Russell, without having to be on a tour? My fiance and I just want to go hiking, without a tour guide....and go at our own pace. Are there any places to rent cars in Russell?

Cheers!

NZ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

Kia ora

The bus will drop you in the car park right by where the ferry departs.

How many mammoth suitcases are you bringing? If you can carry it/wheel it, I don't expect you will have a problem.

Waitangi is a 3 minute drive from Paihia, and also easy to walk.

Not sure what the treks are you have in mind, but the only way to get to Cape Reinga other than on a tour is by private car.

Here are two possibilities:

www.carrentalsbayofislands.co.nz

www.vroomvroomvroom.co.nz

Puketi Forest is less than an hour's drive from Paihia, on the way north, and has walks of various levels of difficulty.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

You will need to take the Airbus from the airport to Auckland city, and then either an Inter City or Northliner bus from there to Paihia.The bus stops right by where the ferry goes from (you have probably a 20m walk down the wharf).

There are several different passenger ferries from Paihia to Russell, the bigger one which is the slightly slower of them would definitely not have any problems with your luggage (this ferry still only takes about 10 minutes to get to Russell). Once in Russell you have a 20m walk down the wharf at that end, and then depends on where you are staying, it may be easy walking distance, otherwise, the accommodation owners would probably pick you up.

Most of the walks from the Russell side are easy to get to without a car, and equally the ones on the Waitangi/Paihia side are too.

The passenger ferry will drop you at either Paihia or Waitangi coming from Russell.

These guys offer car rentals from Paihia, Opua, Waitangi & Russell

http://www.carrentalsbayofislands.co.nz/

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

Thanks Much! Very very helpful information! We didn't even know that we had to go into the city to catch the bus up to the Bay of Islands!

I'll ask more questions about the hikes when I've looked up more info on the area....so far, I've just been Google Earthing the Northland to find the spots we'd like to hike to!

Thanks again, though....it'll be great to pick-up a car for one of the days of the honeymoon, just to get to the different treks...or trails, as we like to call them in the States. ;)

4. Re: Transportation Questions--with luggage! ...any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Russell