We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Which Russell hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Hi There,

I was hoping to say in Russell from the 4th to 6th February 2010 and then leaving on the 6th to go to Whangarei to catch up with some friends.

Does this area get very busy around this time and should I expect very busy roads ? I also read that there can be quite a few protestors. Is the area best avoided at this time ? I haven't booked any accomodation yet but my first 3 favourites are fully booked so guess I may have trouble getting accomodation. I tried Russell Cottages but they are looking very pricey at 300NZD for a 1 bedroomed cottage.

Thanks,

Caz

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

You'll be the only one swimming against the tide!Leaving on the 6th while everyone else is pouring into the area, there are a couple of one way bridges that hold up the traffic but it's only an hours drive to Whangarei so if you're in no rush you'll be fine.

Yes it will be busy(but NZ busy not UK busy) and as you've already found accommodation may be a problem. It's an amazing occasion, a pity you can't stay and be a part of it. Don't worry about protesters, unless you are in on the Treaty Grounds or finding your way there you probably won't even see them.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Hi Caz,

I live in Whangarei city - Northland. I travel around our amazing region quite a bit visiting and sightseeing, so am used to observing traffic flows etc. Waitangi Day doesnt draw the mad rush in the same way that Christmas holidays do. Yes there will be extra pressure around the area for the celebrations, but many of the attendees live in the region - they will return to their homes and Maori marae while the occassion is taking place & after.

If you are experiencing pressure to find accommodation its probably more due to the fact that Feb 6th is a part of peak summer-time and the Bay attracts more visitors around this time of year.

Besides Russell for accomm., have you looked at Paihia, Haruru Falls and Opua? Kerikeri is not far away either - IMO a very pretty township with lots going for it being the bigger district & cultural centre.

Regarding the busy roads - as Zappers says there are several one-lane bridges between Kawakawa and Opua. Alternatively use the Haruru Falls to Puketona junction and join SH1 to Whangarei here. This major highway is in very good condition with plenty of passing lanes established for safety reasons over the past couple years.

Enjoy your stay in Whangarei.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Hi

I would not be too concerned about protestors. There have been incidents in the past and every year there is usually some group wanting to make their views known but they tend to be confined to around the Treaty Grounds at Waitangi.

I would be more concerned about the number of people. The Bay of Islands is very busy in January and February and I am not surprised that you are find accommodation already booked. Also of course everything else will be very busy.

We had some friends who stayed at:

www.takouriver.com

which you may wish to take a look at. Our friends were very well pleased. I notice that they have quite a price range and in February you will almost certainly be looking at the higher end.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

If you can find you way to being in the Greater Waitangi area ober that period of time I woild take it. History of one sort of another is always made at waitangi over this period. If you can find time to take in the festivities at the treaty grounds I would recommend those too.

As far as protesters go if you encounter any just stand aside and let them pass. They have no beef with you just the government of the day. IF you are watching any protests stay in the background and observe, it can become entertaining.

The protests of 2009/10 are very minor compared to the big protests of the 80's / 90's when there were major confrontations between protesters and police.

Both sides of the arguements (which are basically about indigenous land rights and governance) have moved on since then.

This time of the year will forever IMO be a vehicle for a protest movement of some sort because you cannot solve all peoples problems all the time. Someone will always feel disadvantaged or agrieved.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Thanks for all the replys. I am going to go ahead with my plans and broaden my search on the bay of Islands for accomodation.

Caz

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Have a look for accommodation in Opua especially if it's overlooking(which most are) the bay. Stunning views and handy to everything.

www.holidayhouses.co.nz/Filter/Opua.asp…

This will probably be out of your price range but it's in a fabulous spot- watch the car ferries come and go along with all manner of boats and yachts.

www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/2104.asp

Now I'm getting carried away but these are all in amazing spots-

http://www.cliffedge.co.nz/

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Try sending an Email to the I - Site in Paihia. This is the tourist information centre run by local Council.

Their Email address is : paihia@visitnorthland.co.nz

They should be able to put you in the right direction for accomodation.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

Thanks Guys!

Oh my word, some of these places look amazing! I will have a proper look at these tomorrow and make a decision. Will keep you posted!

Thanks again.

9. Re: Waitangi Day 6th Feb 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Russell