We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice towns from RIU

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Nice towns from RIU

I will be staying at the Riu and was wondering which town(s) in the area or not too far you would recommend for a cultural visit.

I know that the RIU is isolated, but I could take a taxi to the town, spend some hours wondering around and taxi back to the Riu.

There is a tour offered ' Coffee and local towns' which I really liked, but unfortunately it's not offered in July.

Alex on the Beach & Amazing Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Issys Tours Costa Rica
River Rafting & Tubing, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Brother's Adventures Tours
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice towns from RIU

Might I suggest a day in Coco (and Playa Coco). Lots of restaurants and "trinkets-and-trash" stores to pick up some things for back home. It is a laid back place, not too far from the hotel, but if cultural is something you would really like, I am afraid you would need to go much further afield. This is the problem the RIU has, it is isolated, and it is several hours via bus/tour bus to San Jose. Perhaps someone else will have a different suggestion here on the Forum. Do have a good holiday.

Playa Hermosa
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice towns from RIU

Playas del Coco is close to the RIU.

I don't know if I'd call it a "cultural visit" though.

Playas del Coco is a beach town that is somewhat touristy (but not as much as Tamarindo).

It has a fairly large Gringo population. But it is also still Tico in many ways.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice towns from RIU

Rincon de la Vieja Volcano is active and lots to offer, it is just 65 km from Coco.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice towns from RIU

I think you want to hire a taxi or a driver for the day to take you to Guaitil to check out the pottery workshops that made this small town famous. Stay for a nice lunch in town and see the difference between a huge resort and small town living. See more at www.govisitcostarica.com/region/city.asp… It is not particularly close to the Riu but would certainly be an interesting cultural experience.

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice towns from RIU

Coco beach would be the closest little town but it is very touristy. Just before coco beach there is a small town sardinal that you can visit if you go to coco beach. Maybe go to the liberia town but it not so close

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice towns from RIU

Coco beach would be the closest little town but it is very touristy. Just before coco beach there is a small town sardinal that you can visit if you go to coco beach. Maybe go to the liberia town but it not so close

Cartago, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice towns from RIU

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice towns from RIU

crfan thanks so much...I have hired a private tour for Palo Verde and will go to Guaitil on our way there! Thanks everyone

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice towns from RIU

For a tiny village Artola...about 75 people lives there...the other will be Sardinal...but there may be a couple places for locals...nothing fancy at all...or Coco´s or Playa Hermosa...at least nice to drive around!

roadadvisor

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice towns from RIU

How long would it take to get to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano from RIU? Are there tours we can take from RIU? Or should we stay in the Rincon area for the first few days?

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal