We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Costa Rica

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Costa Rica

I read a review suggesting that the hotel was completely smoke free, and that they had designated smoking areas? Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

Also, is September a reasonable month to travel to Costa Rica weather wise?

Appreciate your feedback :)

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

In the area where the Riu Palace is located, September and October are usually the two worst months to travel. Unless you enjoy rain. Some years it's bad, some not so bad. But it will likely rain. The east coast would be a better choice at that time of year.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

There is a nation-wide, No Smoking law in Costa Rica for hotels, restaurants, shops, supermarkets and even bus stops.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

I would not be so pessimistic. It rains but it is not 24 hours.

Actually last year is was fairly dry.

Hattie refers to a web site where you can see the weather in a given area for a particular month.

Rain is Costa Rica is not cold, and there is sun at certain hours, there are days with no rain at all.

As for smoke, there is a law that you can not smoke in public areas, and yes there should be areas for smoking.

Come and enjoy Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Wasn't being pessimistic. Just stating that comparatively speaking, there is more rain in those 2 months than in other months during the year. Given 12 months to choose from, those 2 would be #11 and #12 on my list of when to travel to the NW Pacific coast.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Well, that being said...... the RIU would be the 20th on my list of 20 all-inclusive resorts.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Pacific coast won't be monsoons. Typically beautiful mornings, with rain in the afternoon. Everything green.

But, I would look at somewhere else besides the Riu. Dozens of other wonderful choices.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

We had a particularly upset poster on here a few months back who was staying at the RIU and hadn't been informed that it was a non-smoking resort.

It's pretty slackly enforced in CR from my experience in November 2012 however RIU apparently were being quite strict, according to that numpty in particular.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

Does this mean you cannot smoke anywhere in the resorts?

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

In terms of enforcement its RIU that, according to a poster, strictly enforced the new laws re smoking in public areas. We smoked in and around most we stayed at, as well as in bars n on the beach.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Costa Rica

You should know, David, that enforcement has gotten more....... well......... forceful. In fact, several restaurants in the San Jose area were closed for non-compliance with this law.

If you are a smoker and headed for Costa Rica, be aware of the no-smoking law. In order to smoke, you would have to leave the hotel building and go to some designated smoking area, away from any public place.

Some hotels enforce a total "non-smoking" for the whole property. You will have to contact whatever hotel you are thinking of using to find out what their policy is regarding smokers.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Get answers to your questions about Sardinal