We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Guanacaste

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Guanacaste

Looking at visiting here with my mother but she is a smoker - is this going to be a problem?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Smoking is against the law in all public buildings. You could try looking at a rental where the owners tolerate smoking.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Guanacaste

There is a water fountain between the pool and the lobby, where people smoke all the time.

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Guanacaste

It won't be a problem. She can smoke on the beach or balcony as well as some designated areas within the hotel grounds. At night, much easier to get away with a quick smoke as long as you are away from most others, like the fountain referred to above. Away from the hotel, it depends on where you are at and they will always tell you where it is 'legal' to smoke, just ask.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Guanacaste

It is not legal to smoke in any "public place" in Costa Rica. This includes restaurants, shops, supermarkets, bus stops and other places where the "public" congregates. Most hotels are smoke-free.

To find out where you can smoke, you will need to either email the hotel ahead of time or ask once you are there. You can always find a place to "sneak a smoke" but don't expect to be able to smoke in your room, on your balcony or in any of the restaurants, at the pool, etc.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Sounds like it's toughened up a lot since November 2012 when we were there then......

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Yeah, the law was pretty new, then, David so enforcement not as "organized" as it is now.

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Guanacaste

I don't think the law says that you can't smoke on your balcony. There was even an ash tray on the table on the balcony.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Yeah, smoking on your balcony would probably be up to the individual hotel. Whether the balcony is shared or whatever the policy of the hotel is.

Frankly, if I were on vacation, I wouldn't want to sit on my balcony next to a balcony where someone was smoking. I can imagine few things worse than having to deal with a smoker next door all day and all night. Ick. (Yeah, I'm a reformed smoker -- now dealing with asthma.)

Really, it's kind of impossible to say at any one time just what the smoking policies would be. I think if you count on a non-smoking hotel with a few areas set aside for smoking, you probably won't be disappointed.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 18:56
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Guanacaste

I agree with what Hattie has to say. Along with the areas already mentioned which are a "No Go" area is also the pool decks. Smoking is allowed on the room balconies but also be considerate to your neighbours. Like someone else eluded to, there are bushes and corners to blend in with and discretely have a smoke especially during the evening hours. Note also that at the San Jose airport smoking is allowed in the parking lot across from the departures level. CR smoking laws are really not any stricter than what you would find in North America. PS I'm a smoker and adapted when I was in CR in February.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Guanacaste

Thanks. This is what I needed to hear. When were you there?

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal