We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

Which Sardinal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

Hi All - I'm looking to book a trip to Arenal in January. I see on the Tabacon Spa fine print that unmarried couples may be restricted from sharing a room and may be required to show proof of marriage before staying. Has anyone experienced this type of issue? Thanks in advance.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

I have NEVER heard of this in my 12 years of living in Costa Rica. What in the world?! Costa Rica is very open in this aspect, so I am very surprised at this! Maybe it's just an antiquated form, but I definitely don't see this being a big issue here.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

Not really an issue. That is a rule written for shall we say "ladies of the evening" and does not apply to couples coming on vacation. In CR prostitution is oddly enough legal, so hotels have to be careful to not allow shenanigans happening on the property. Rules like that are written by the hotels to discourage guests from using them as brothels.

The fact that the hotel has that written in their rules tells me they care about their reputation, frown on the practice, and get 2 thumbs up from me for not supporting that darker side of CR.

No worries

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

That made me laugh - thank you for the information.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

Once again agree with HAttie...many hotels around the world have the same rule...that stops people to bring not register guest into the resort...!!

roadadvisor

5. Re: Problem for unmarried couples in Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Sardinal