We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-cigs

kingston
5 posts
Save Topic
e-cigs

will be staying at the riu palace in costa rica. can you smoke your e-cigs there and in public in costa rica?

Issys Tours Costa Rica
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Alex on the Beach & Amazing Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Brother's Adventures Tours
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: e-cigs

Electronic cigarettes come under the same law as tobacco cigarettes so the same rules apply. So no, you are restricted to the same areas as tobacco cigarettes and cannot smoke in public, restaurants, etc.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: e-cigs

I did not know about the e cigs...good to know Hattie...you are the best!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: e-cigs

technically Hattie is right but most places do not seem to care much about ecigs. I use my ecig and never have any issues. Be respectful of course, but IMO you should be fine. The eliquid I use smells like almonds, no complaints from anyone yet. cheers

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: e-cigs

Ley 9028 regulates tobacco and not e cigarettes. It contains dozens of provisions which are not enforced.

Through diktat, some administrator has declared it applies equally to e cigarettes even though the definition of tobacco is written in the law.

Like most laws in Costa Rica, it selectively and subjectively enforced to the point it is not really law but suggestion. No one will no what to do with you as ecigs are rare. They will not say anything if you use it on a bus, an elevator, a restaurant. They will avoid the confrontation. Use it wherever you want.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: e-cigs

Once again, I totally disagree with MickeyMoose!

The law actually does include e cigarettes so before "lighting up," I would check with whoever is in charge of wherever you are. And no, please, not on a bus, in an elevator or a restaurant. That's just ridiculous.

Keep in mind that there is a fine associated with an infraction and you could cause headaches for some business by doing what he suggests.

Whether the law is enforced or not is another thing. But the government has actually realized more than $1 million in fines so someone, somewhere is enforcing this!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: e-cigs

Me too!

roadadvsior

kingston
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: e-cigs

you do not light a e-cig. it is not tobacco smoke it is a vapor and doesn't give people headaches or sinus headaches. it is a vapor that evaporates

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: e-cigs

Notice that I put "lighting up" in quotes? I guess it was too subtle........

And I don't think you can really say that the vapor doesn't give people headaches. But really whether it does or doesn't is beside the point. If it is illegal to use an e cigarette in certain areas, that's the point.

My advice is just to ask wherever you go and see what the management says. Otherwise, you and whatever business you are in could be in for a fine. Just ask.

In fact, I suggest that you email the RIU and ask them that question. I doubt that you will get an answer - they are notoriously bad with replying........... but you can always try.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 01:28
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: e-cigs

Smoke while on a bus, in an elevator, or in restaurants? What type of person would ever do this and who would ever mislead travelers looking for advice that doing so is okay?

Unbelievable. Some people are just very, very odd.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: e-cigs

It is not smoke!!!

Which part of the law says ecigs?

The law defines what tobacco is. Nothing in that definition can be used to describe an ecig.

If I am wrong, quote the section of the law that applies to an ecig.

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal