We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-cigs

Which Sardinal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kingston
5 posts
Save Topic
e-cigs

will be staying at the riu palace in costa rica. can you smoke your e-cigs there and in public in costa rica?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: e-cigs

Micky, you are a bit wrong. I think you must be thinking of USA where they are kind of in limbo. Here you go ecigarette-politics.com/electronic-cigarette…

Importation requires a special declaration (but no special license).

Sale is regulated as tobacco: behind the counter, all transactions must verify age (adults - over 18 only).

No advertising allowed.

Use is restricted in public places.

No regulation of nicotine strength or flavours.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: e-cigs

Here in Virginia, smoking in restaurants is STRICTLY prohibited.

HOWEVER, people smoke e-cigs in restaurants ALL the time. You can't smell the vapor. You can't see the vapor after a second- it's steam that almost instantly evaporates. The vapor is just that- vapor. It's water vapor. It has no smell, and it evaporates. The only people who ever care or say anything are the people who don't understand what the e-cig is or how it works.

I completely understand that laws are laws, and you should respect them. So sure, the safe thing to do would be to ask the management at the resort, restaurant, or wherever you plan on partaking in the e-cig. However, if you did just go ahead and casually use it, I don't anyone would even notice... (that doesn't mean you SHOULD... but I'm just saying...)

(I am not an e-cig user, but I have friends who use them)

Edited: 25 October 2013, 21:25
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: e-cigs

If there is no nicotine and no tar and no smoke, then what is all the fuss about?? I really wonder what the law says about this since it has, apart from the name and the "gestures", nothing to do with tobacco.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: e-cigs

Er....... there is nicotine. That's kind of the point. In some of them, the nicotine is part of the vapor that's inhaled. But it depends on which e cigarette someone uses.

Do you think you will be able to make sense of something that a government does?

Back to the point: Wherever someone wants to use an e cigarette, they should ask about it first.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: e-cigs

You are right Hattie, they do contain nicotine, I was a bit too quick. Still I wonder what the law in Costa Rica really says about this, reading up on it ,countries are struggling with this and not sure how to classify.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: e-cigs

I posted all the legal info above. very clear on the matter.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: e-cigs

"Micky, you are a bit wrong."

Your "global Legal status" is not Costa Rica Law.

The tobacco law defines what tobacco is and how it is regulated. When asked by some journalist about e-cigarettes, some health minister made the illegal declaration that he would include ecigs as tobacco, because in Costa Rica what the law actually says seems meaningless. A judge has yet to bother to overrule him, because as far as I know, there have been no fines or warnings issued for ecigs.

I use to actually have a copy of the law, but it is on the other computer.

It was poorly written to the point of ridiculousness.

If it was enforced, any cruise ship that docks in Costa Rica would have their license revoked if they allow smoking anywhere on board.

It says you cannot sell a t-shirt that says tobacco. You can still sell a shirt that says smoke crack.

You cannot film anyone smoking tobacco if you are making a movie, TV show, etc. A painting of tobacco is illegal. Wear all the pot leaves as fashion as you wish.

You can even see the lines in the law where they failed to redact properly. Originally, the law provided to allow smoking tobacco in any business that had three sides open (like a beach bar). They left that line in the law even after they disallowed it and declared it to affect all businesses with employees.

"I posted all the legal info above. very clear on the matter."

That is neither legal info nor accurate.

The law does not regulate ecigs in any manner.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: e-cigs

I must apologize.

I read law 9028 when it first came out. The link Incobad provides contains another link.

This link is to executive decree 37185, which was published later. I did not know Presidents could change the law by decree but I guess they can. It seems the Minesterio de Salud wrote the decree and somehow it became law (or if not quite law but at least policy, if not).

This does mention ecigs.

Whether it fully regulates them in the same manner as tobacco, who knows.

It does not seem counteract 9028 in the fact that every business must still hide tobacco products so that they cannot be seen by anyone under 18 (another ignored aspect of the law).

I stand by the original statement, that ecig used in buses and elevators and nobody will be concerned.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: e-cigs

no worries Mickey, when the law first came out it did not cover it, they added a bit to it...

cornwall
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: e-cigs

So can I take my ecig and refills with me and as long as I'm discrete I'll be ok?

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal