We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massage-Tipping

Which Sardinal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
135 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Massage-Tipping

I have read massages are about $35-do you need to pay in cash, and do you tip on top of this?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massage-Tipping

Plan on paying in cash, yes, and tipping is up to you and your conscience. I always tip - and the amount depends on the massage. Maybe 1000 colones minimum up to 2000 or 3000 colones.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Massage-Tipping

I think it depends on the cost of the massage and the masseure.

The massages at El Remanso, for example, were very expensive ($60ish) and I asked the girl first whether she was under the employ of the hotel to provide massage services or whether she was in more of a 'consultant' role so she got the fee and paid the hotel a portion to effectively advertise for her. As it was the latter I had no issue not tipping.

If she had been employed direct by the hotel then I might have tipped a few dollars.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Massage-Tipping

I guess I don't get your logic here, David.

Someone provides a service to you -- you tip or not based on the service and not the business arrangement. Essentially, the business arrangement is none of your business.

And $60 ish is not really that expensive for an all-body excellent massage from a trained professional that lasts an hour.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Massage-Tipping

$60 is "very expensive" for a massage? Man, I must be way over-paying whenever I buy my fiancee a massage!

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
486 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Massage-Tipping

I never understood the pricing of massage in vacation destinations. They are more expensive then getting here at home in Washington DC suburbs. With Living Social and Groupon's we can get a professional massage in an excellent environment for under $1/min.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Massage-Tipping

I can only comment on Jaco, but there are several quality sources for $40 or less. Although, when you see a lower price, make sure and ask if it is for relaxing massage or deep tissue. Most of the low prices are for relaxing. I always tip. On a $40 massage I usually leave $6. Somebody quoted me $65 recently and basically she better be able to put me into a state of nirvana for that. haha

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Massage-Tipping

Just like with guides and drivers, there's a big difference between someone who just gives you a "relaxing" massage and someone who is trained and professional and licensed and knows how to do a proper deep tissue massage.

Pay the former whatever they ask and you will get what you pay for.

Of course, in any highly touristic area, things are liable to be priced higher, especially someplace like Tamarindo where everything is more expensive.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Massage-Tipping

It is definitely jacked up in Tourist Areas. I have a registered Massage Therapist in Cartago who charges 5000c or about $10.00 for a 45 minute massage. And she brings her table and oils etc. to your house.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 19:38
Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
135 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Massage-Tipping

Wow thanks for all the replies. I guess I was thinking about all the massages people were talking about getting on the beach. I imagine these must be relaxation massages. Still tip.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Massage-Tipping

Now, don't get me wrong Rainey4, I like the relaxing massages at times too. The deep tissue can really be painful at times. But I had kinks I needed worked out. I had a deep one a couple of Sundays ago, and then the next week had her do a medium between relaxing and deep tissue. I still considered it deep tissue but it was less torturous in spots. haha

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal