We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting worried about September weather at the Riu

Midland, Ontario...
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
getting worried about September weather at the Riu

my wife and i will be at the riu for 2 weeks early september and i am really getting worried about the weather. I have read that it is sunny in the morning and rains almost every day in the afternoon. Now typically how much of the morning is nice and how much of the afternoon is raining? like sunny till around noon then rain for the rest of the day or is it just a good downpour for a hour or two and then sunny again? I do expect a good amount rain and we are looking forward to the lush rain forest but i just I really hope i am not stuck inside for 2 weeks straight.

Now i know you cant predict the weather i am just looking for a typical daily time period of sun and rain.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,763 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

There are things that you should be worried about RIU Guanacaste yet the weather is not one of them. As reported it is a very dry season this year, and lack of water is already showing its worse side.

For lush rain forest you will need to travel elsewhere, and I mean further than a day trip. Two weeks in a resort ... if you are OK with such arrangement than you should not worry about a rainy afternoon. Get a lot of books or movies on your tablet and get that long awaited total relaxation you are looking for.

Yes, the weather pattern. Usually it rains around 35 pm, and sometimes during the night. But that is only statistics ...

Edited: 19 August 2014, 08:37
toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

I am going for 2 weeks in october.After booking I found out this is supposed to be the month with the most rainfall in CR. Oh well we'll have fun anyway rain or shine....LOL....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

You don't need to worry about the rain at the RIU. Right now, there is a serious drought going on and the local farmers and ranchers have lost an amount approaching $50 million. In fact, some hotels have such a big problem, they are having to truck in water and may need to close temporarily.

During your stay at the RIU, please be respectful of the water situation and use as little as possible.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

I live about 10 minutes as the crow flies from the Riu and with the drought, we have had less than 10 days where it rained at all since May 1, which is when the green season starts here.. this will be the 3rd year in a row that we are expecting less than average rains ... Even with the less than normal rainfall, it is very lush green and incredibly beautiful now..

Here's my forecast based on what has been occurring including yesterday ... about an 80% chance of sun with a 20% chance of a brief shower followed by clearing ... There may be a day or 2 it could rain hard, but it rarely starts before 2, 3 or 4 pm...

Edited: 19 August 2014, 18:06
Midland, Ontario...
Level Contributor
149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

Thank you everyone for your feedback and thanks for informing me on the water issue as I probably wouldn't have knows I will use as little water as possible.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,814 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

From Coco beach to RIU about 20 minutes or more ...nice road...just to clarify...and yoh do not make any mistake thinking you are very close..

By tbe way you are Welcome ...I hope you enjoy our country as much as we natives do...

roadadvisor

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

Hola Derrick E,

Here's a link to the extended forecast

…accuweather.com/en/…1180067

It rained for about 4 minutes yesterday and now at 6:47am on 8/21 there are some high scattered clouds but nice and warm

Lots of great information on the ICT website and is more helpful and unbiased for all the places to see things to do here.

www.visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/home.asp…

They now have an awesome app for the ipad which has some great videos of the entire country for anyone who really wants to know about this beautiful country! The link for the app is on their homepage.

Pura vida and enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,814 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

From Coco beach to RIU about 20 minutes or more ...nice road...just to clarify...and yoh do not make any mistake thinking you are very close..

By tbe way you are Welcome ...I hope you enjoy our country as much as we natives do...

weather during El Nino year is not predictable...no natter hou many broadcast you check...ask locals...we know better ...but ask when you are here..do not let yourself to be confuce...by anybody or a broadcast...

eoadadvisor

roadadvisor

Mill Creek...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

I'm here right now for 10 days. I live in Seattle and I was really freaking out about the rain, it has been nothing but GORGEOUS the entire time. They have 2 seasons here, not 4 like us. The rainy season (4months) and the dry seasons (8months). From my understanding it has more to do with farming and humidity. The other night it rained but it was already dark and it was incredible. We went for a walk along the beach and watched the electrical storm over the mountains. Yesterday it rained for about 45 minutes and no one skipped a beat, if they were laying out they simply went and got something to eat. Or they got in the pool and swam up to the bar. Then, the shower stopped, the sun came back out as if it never happened.

I was so stressed about worrying about the rain. Knowing what I know now, I smile. This place chilled me right out almost immediately. You're going to love it here! I'm already per planning my next trip in January/February .

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting worried about September weather at the Riu

i'm only 20 minutes north of the Riu. We are still having much less rain than normal and even when it does rain, as Mookiemuke said, it's been in late afternoon/evening and it has not rained for very long any day since May 1... This could change any day but the long range forecast is for the drought to continue. And nearly a zero chance of any rain in Jan/Feb.. it is very dry in the dry season!

I live in this area because the weather is the driest and least humid of anywhere in the country.

Pura vida and enjoy!

Randy

Get answers to your questions about Sardinal