We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

San Francisco, CA...
7 posts
Save Topic
7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

Would I be totally crazy to try to get from Darwin to Purnululu and back in 7 days in July? I will have a 4WD bushcamper and will be travelling with my 7-yr-old son. Proposed itinerary would be:

Day 1: Darwin to Kakadu

Day 2: Kakadu to Nitmiluk/Katherine

Day 3: Katherine to Kunururra

Day 4: Kununurra to Purnululu

Day 5: Purnululu to Gregory Natl Park

Day 6: Gregory to Litchfield NAtl Park

Day 7: Litchfield to Darwin

I realize that some of the days will have very long drives, but we have no problem getting up at dawn.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,168 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

It will take you at least 6 hours to get into the camp ground at Purnululu from Kununurra and back to Gregory National Park is probably at least 8 hours - so no I dont think you have enough time - especially as it will get dark at around 6pm in July.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

Are you seeing anything on this trip? Darwin - Kakadu - Katherine doable and you will see some of the sights. At Katherine are you planning on a Gorge trip? That will eat into your time especially if you then want to drive to Kununurra.

Purnululu to be appreciated you need to spend a day here, it will be nearly dusk by the time you reach it then the next day you will only have a short time before driving to Gregory NP where again it will be dusk before you reach a camp site. Then you will be up early to reach Litchfield NP.

With a 7 YO you will need to make stops often for him to burn up some energy and to stop him being bored so I think your programme is very rushed and will not be enjoyable.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

Wow! - very ambitious if not totally crazy! The places that you are trying to fit in in some ways deserve a week in their own right. I would say that it is possible but you will see things in a blur as you go past but that is all. Your proposed itinerary would not do these places any justice at all. We spent a few days in Darwin itself, a week in Kakadu, 3 days in Litchfield, a couple of days in the Kununurra area and 3/4 days in Purnululu - and that is not including any travel time at all.

If you are going to do long drives with your son, I highly recommend getting audio story CDs - they make the travel time go so much quicker.

San Francisco, CA...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I was being too ambitious, and sadly Purnululu will have to wait for another trip.

Brisbane Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

Purnululu needs at least a one day fly in / 4wd trip and is by far the best part of your plan. I would choose it over Gregory NP. I feel you would enjoy more seeing fewer places. Check out Birgit Bradtke great info kimberleyaustralia.com download Kimberley pocket guide and outback guide NT Regards Lucy

6. Re: 7 days Darwin to Purnululu and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:20