We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

Hi all. I have a question regarding campsites in these National Parks.

I will be travelling in a campervan and I am curious as to what the protocol is if we want to leave a campsite once we arrive and head back there after sightseeing.

Here is my example. I get to a campsite at midday and claim my spot, then I want to leave the site in my campervan to see some sites at another location. Is there a risk that my site is taken or, even worse, the campsite is full upon my return? Or, is there some method of reserving the spot in the campsite?

Sorry for my lack of camping etiquette knowledge but any advice would be helpful.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

In a commercial site and you are using their power then the office should show that you, reg no occupy site xx in their register as they need to know how many have powered sites so they do not overbook. In the unpowered sites they often do not give you a specific site so when you go out for the day the occupants often leave some items such as chairs in their area. Or tie some rope between 2 chairs at the entrance of your spot and have that across the entrance to the site. Most people check around and ask any neighbours if a particular area is taken but some campers are ignorant. Saw some unwashed backpackers in an old Wi#@@* van "borrow" the seats that were marking a spot and there was nearly a brawl later.

Kakadu
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

Yeah I guess you could leave your chairs but as Bob says this may cause issues, I have never experience any theft personally but have heard of travellers supposedly borrowing gear. What campsites are you talking about and what time of year? Most of the campsites in Kakadu and Litchfield won't fill up unless it's a busy long weekend with school holidays, Easter for example. Some campsites have camp managers, its worth discussing the issue with them, they can keep an eye out and help solve issues later.

I think you shouldn't worry about it, after all campsites are usually places to go when the sun is gone. A place for dinner and a sleep. So getting the best campsite is not neccessary for one night. And I don't believe there is a best campsite, they are all pretty much the same. Even if you arrive late with a good attitude, and the camp site is full, you could ask to share, most travellers are friendly and can provide some pleasant company.

So don't worry about campsites go with a good attitude and a smile and I'm sure you will be fine.

Kakadu
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

PS

Even if you leave some gear to reserve your spot, if the camp fills up it is almost guaranteed that your reserved site will be taken over. I guess the protocol is first in best dressed, and a couple of chairs wont count.

sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

Hi Kenhoath

Im going in August/September and the only place I'm concerned about losing my place is at Garnamarr. I hear there is a maximum number of campers there and don't want to miss out on a spot there and have to travel all the way back to the main road

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

check with Bowali Visitor Centre before you drive out but I have done a fair amount of camping around NT and have never had a problem with a place being too crowded and campers being turned away. Certainly Garnamarr is a little more remote than other camp grounds so I doubt it would be overcrowded - maybe on a long weekend.

Even out at Bungle Bungles everyone just gets more and more squeezy as the camp fills up towards dusk. Funniest sight I saw whilst out there last year was a couple who had left their small tent with the camp chairs out front and when they got back after a walk their site had been invaded by a bus tour with around 15 x 3 man tents. Very funny but they all ended up having a great tight sing around the campfire.

Lou

Kakadu
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

Yep, although I often stay in the Tours area I have never seen Garnamarr full, and certainly the tour area isn't full, so I'm sure Greg the camp manager will let you camp on the tour group side if the otherside is full, the camp manager Greg (if he comes back for the 2011 season) is a great down to earth relaxed guy, ask about his vege patch, give him a beer, ask him for a good damper recipe and you will have trouble getting away.

7. Re: Claiming campsites in Litchfield and Kakadu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:18