We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

Hi,

We will be spending 6 nights in the "Top End." We are arriving in Darwin at 9.15PM on 4/9 so our first night will have to be in Darwin and we are flying onto Sydney at 3.45PM on 10/9.

Our main reason for coming to this region is to experience the wildlife and learn about aboriginal culture so visiting Kakadu is central to our plans. However the guide books suggest it is worth spending a bit of time in Darwin too. We are a couple in our early 40's and below are my initial thoughts - what do you think?

2 nights - Darwin (no car needed)

1 night - Katherine, sunset tour of the Gorge

3 nights - Kakadu. Explore the park and drive to airport on 10/9.

Thank you.

Simon.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

sounds like a good plan. Litchfield NP has more tourists but everything is incredibly accessible. A waterfall dip in Litchfield and Crocs at Adelaide River en route to Katherine. Could spend ages in all these spots so just go enjoy

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

We found 2 nights in Kakadu to be more than enough time there. I'd recommend spending an extra night in Katherine so you can do the Crocodile Night Adventure (boat ride, croc spotting, BBQ under the amazing stars, plus a close-up encounter with a croc). This will also give you time to add a visit to Edith Falls NP. In addition to the great scenery there, you can swim in both the upper and lower natural pools which would be a good experience since you aren't going to Litchfield.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

Hi Simsu,

what you've outlined is a good approach. I wouldn't change the balance of nights.

In fact, if you're main aim is to experience the wildlife and aboriginal culture I would absolutely make that your priority and investigate what experiences and tours are available to that end and work around that. Full stop. We stopped and took our time attending ranger talks at all the main sites, did a guluyambi cruise and easily consumed three nights in Kakadu. There is a greater range of indigenous tours and experiences available now. The relationship of people to country and wildlife is IMHO far and away the most spectacular and interesting part of the top end. :o)

..here's a link to some stories you might enjoy (I did). The site owner is a wildlife guide and has given some tips for choosing a guide on the site if you're considering that sort of thing. Her book Quiet Snake Dreaming is also very interesting. Oh, and if you were thinking of acquiring a bird guide book, her book on birds and where to find them includes information from the indigenous perspective which I found added a lot to my enjoyment of both my birding and the book.

denisegoodfellow.com.au/Denise/Stories.html

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

Your itinerary looks okay to me... you could however add Litchfield National Park into your itinerary.

The park is located approximately 100kms south west of Darwin and covers over 1500sq km of land. The main attractions of the park are the gorgeous gorges , waterfalls , rivers , magnetic termite mounds and swimming holes.

5. Re: 6 Nights in the Top End - September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 10:17