We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

Which Kakadu National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

I'll be visiting Kakadu NP in November. I am trying to discover all there is to see and do, and the logistics of how far destinations are from each other, and how much time to allocate to each. I understand the Nourlangie Rock area is interesting, with many Aboriginal Artsites with walking tracks. I'd like to have a better understanding of visiting Nourlangie. Is there a car park in the area, and if so, from the car park, how far away are the Aboriginal artsites? If I am interested in just checking out the artsites, how far are they from the car park? Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

Totally nothing to do with your question but if you want to buy a dot painting (Aboriginal Artwork) just go to Litchfield National Park to the Monsoon Café and ask for Kathy McCarthy....

It's probably best to ring first- to see if she is still exhibiting her paintings.

www.monsooncafe.com.au/ -

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

Theres a couple of artsites. The main ones there is a carpark right there quite close to some of the galleries which are scattered around fairly close. There are also some galleries around the other side of the ... feature where you park and then it's a fair walk in to see them. The sites along the walk include some contact art and face west, so are best viewed in the morning for greatest viewing comfort and the richest colour. The main sites are all pretty shaded so it doesn't matter... most people just visit the main galleries.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

one thing I think it is really worth making time for while you're in the Nourlangie area is the ...(I'd better go dig up the guide so you have some names to go by).. Nawurlandja lookout.. it's a bit of a scramble and you have to climb a short ladder along the way but the view is totally awesome.. we caught it for sunset. (and there is a carpark just at the start of the walk up to the lookout.. which doesn't take long)I would priorise that over the Nanguluwur art site if time is/becomes an issue. The walk into Nanguluwur from the closest car park is quite exposed. Pretty much no shade or shelter until you reach the art site.

Oh, the Gun-warrdehwarrde lookout is worth going up for too, though no art up there as far as I can recall. The ranger talk tells you about .. some mythological bloke whose red eye is visible on the escarpment in the distance.. You also see this from Nawurlandja lookout which I think is a better view .. I mustn't be alone in that as they put Nawurlandja lookout on the post cards.

Looks like the ranger talks only run to Oct 7. A shame in one respect, but I guess that will save you some time!

Incidentally you may well have it already but just in case... the website information the and visitor guide you can get on line is really good for your trip planning.

environment.gov.au/parks/…visitor-guide.pdf

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

The car park is very close to the main group of paintings. A better site is Ubirr near Cahills crossing on the East Alligator. By the crossing there is a walking trail which brings you near some bees wax figures in a rock overhang, it might be closed now. Not all of Nourlangie Rock is opened to tourists, some areas are closed for cultural reasons.

Unfortuneately many good sites are closed, Cannon Hill which you see on the way to Ubirr has a completely different style of painting and several rock outcrops near by are now closed but they also had paintings. Death Addder Gorge was a massive gallery of paintings, now it is closed.

Often in rock overhangs paintings can be found, these were probably done to pass the time on a wet day, dut they can be found in Koolpin, above Waterfall creek falls or Gunlom falls, on the track to Gimbat and at Stag creek behind the El Sharana mine.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

swdke,

I like Nourlangie for the rock art I really think that it is the best. As others have said the rock art is within very easy walk of the carpark. I have taken my kids (now 5 & 9) a couple of times over the past few years.

I preferred Noarlangie for the art instead of Ubirr, but the scenery at ubirr is absolutely stunning. It is like a 360degree Steve Parrish photograph. Magnificent..and a must at sunset.

Lou

Darwin Australia

6. Re: Nourlangie Rock Inquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 20:19