We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I want to make some reservations, our trip is getting close, the plan is to fly to Darwin from Sydney after a 15 hour flight from California on Saturday May 3.

The flight arrives about 1:45 pm, we will be tired and either sleep in Darwin or is there an easy stop no more than an hour drive away, on the way to Kakadu?

So, we will have three nights, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, plus Sunday and Wednesday can be sightseeing days. Wednesday night we will sleep in Darwin because I plan on a 6 am flight to Cairns on Thursday. Should we plant ourselves in one place for three nights? We plan on being away from the hotel all day sightseeing and hiking, we don't need any day time rest time and don't mind changing hotels. We'll just rent a 2wd car.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I would stay in Jabiru for two nights and then at Cooinda for one night.

That way you can book the early morning Yellow Waters cruise - it's the best of the day as the birds and other wildlife are most active.

We stayed at the Croc Inn in Jabiru. Don't expect anything more than 2/3 star motel standard, no matter what their advertising says. It's sister property, Gagadju Lodge, in Cooinda, is, IMO, much nicer.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I would really not bother with driving for one hour out of darwin , as it wont really land you anywhere worth spending the night in. I would spend this night in Darwin and do some of your sightseeing on this afternoon. If you are tired from flying, then it wont make any difference if you are tired and start driving even for a short distance.

There are only really three accommodation options in Kakadu. The only shops in the park are at Jabiru and this is a very small service town.

One your way out to Kadadu the next morning you can stop at the Wetlands, Mamakula, Bowali Visitors centre.

The next two nights can be spent at Jabiru and then last night at Cooinda if you plan on getting up very early for the morning cruise. Then head back to Darwin , which will have you there by mid afternoon if you dont make stops.

The trip from Cooinda is about 3.5 hours.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

After a 15 hour flight definitely stay in Darwin the first night.

Kakadu is big so staying in two places is a good plan. Although whether you do two nights Jabiru and one Cooinda or vice versa depends on what you want to do/see in Kakadu. Do you have an idea about this? Will you have 2WD or 4WD?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

We'll just have a 2WD. 2 nights Jabiru 1 night Cooinda sounds good so far, I do need to work out in better detail what we will do/see each day, thanks.

Husband has a sore knee so our hiking will depend on how good it is by May!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

The only hiking which we found remotely 'challenging' in terms of climbing were the walks into Twin Falls and Jim Jim Falls and I doubt that they would be open in May - too soon after the wet. All other tracks we took were well made and well maintained. Even with dodgy knees you'll be able to get to see plenty of spectacular sights.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

kakadu.com.au/experience/bushwalking.html.

This link has some great walks. The centre will always tell you what is open etc.

There are many bushwalks that have climbs that will challenge a sore knee. At Nourlangie there is a loop on the left that has a fair few stairs and scramble through rocks. You can just take a boardwalk and do a lower level loop. The views are better if you go onwards.

Nawurlandja lookout is great- but a scramble up rocks. The flat version around the billabong is Anbangbang.

Around Ubirr and the bardedjilidji walk is a flatter one.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

Everyone has their own interests, of course, but I think you may be spending too much time in Kakadu, especially if your hiking is going to be limited.

We spent two nights in Kadadu (at the Croc Inn, which was nothing special) and I felt that was more than enough time to see the park. This included a hike at Ubirr Rock, the Yellow Waters tour, a good amount of time at the Visitor's Center and Jabiru and driving through the park.

You might want to consider spending 2 nights in Kakadu and 1 night in Darwin so that you can see some of what that town has to offer. It seems a shame to fly all that way and not spend any time at all seeing Darwin. The Territory Art Gallery and Museum is excellent; the Fannie Bay Gaol is fascinating and Aquascene is just a lot of fun.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I agree Longhorn- but you are also missing out on some other amazing things that you have missed by just doing two nights. My philosophy is always try and do as much as you can when you are there.

Its a long drive out there with a few things on the way to occupy a half day. There are also some great tours like an indigenous food/culture tour that is fascinating as well as Mary River cruises,motor car falls.

Yes, "hiking" per say may not be on the agenda, but there re heaps of interesting options with gentle walks.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

With a 2WD I agree that 2 nights Jabiru, 1 night Cooinda is a good plan. Most of the main sights that are 2WD accessible at that time of year are in the northern/central area of the park near these hotels.

I would recommend visiting Mamukala wetlands, Ubirr - stay for sunset if you can but take the mozzie repellant, Manggare Walk, Bardilidji Walk (there is a long version and a shorter version - can be sandy so depends on the knee) Nourlangie, Nungulawurr Walk (longish but flat), Anbangbang Billabong and Yellow Water as a start. Apologise for any spelling mistakes I'm doing it from memory! Also Bowali Visitor Centre and Warrradjun Cultural Centre are worth a look.

I do not think 3 nights in Kakadu is too much, there is so much to do. But as said, each to their own.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
11,810 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

If I had 3 nights, I would spend 2 in Kakadu and 1 night in Lichfield National park. Lichfield is only about an hour from Darwin and it would be a shame not to see it while in the area. Kakadu is great, but Lichfield is just as good.