We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakadu for 4 days

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kakadu for 4 days

I'm traveling to Kakadu for 4 nights days (3 full days) and then probably stay 1 or two nights in cooinda and do the yellow river cruise etc. This will be in late July to early august.

I'm asking for a few quick suggestions for me to research. At this stage I am not sure about going to Jim Jim falls but will definitely be going on a plane or helicopter flight.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

Kakadu is a special place. I feel privileged to have visited twice and dream I will visit again! the rock art was a highlight for me.

‘Our land has a big story.

Sometimes we tell a little bit at a time.

Come and hear our stories, see our land.

A little bit might stay in your hearts.

If you want more, you can come back…’

Jacob Nayinggul

(Quote from Shared Vision for Tourism in Kakadu National Park’ (Kakadu National Park Board of Management: 2005)

Nourlangie and Ubirr are worth a visit for rock art .

…cdu.edu.au/tourism/…rockart.html

Oenpelli in Arnhem Land is worth a visit for art and cultural knowledge.

artconnections.com.au/injalakartsandcrafts.h…

Bushtucker tour- a memorable experience

http://www.animaltracks.com.au

Jim Jim falls/twin falls was a great day tour we took, informative and also time to relax at the falls.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

Hi deepestcut

You say you will the doing 4 nights in Kakadu then 1 or 2 nights at Cooinda.

This is a little confusing as Cooinda is in Kakadu - so do you have 4 nights or 6 nights?

Are you planning on hiring a car? If so will it be a 4WD or 2WD?

Do you like walking?

Where else are you visiting in the Top End?

Sorry to ask so many questions but this information will help us point you in the right direction.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

I wouldn't recommend that you miss Jim Jim and Twin Falls. It's a bit of an effort to get there but totally awe inspiring and not to be missed. We were there at the tail end of the dry, the hike in nearly did us in (it was 40 degrees) and the falls were a bare trickle, but I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. I can only imagine their magnificence earlier in the season.

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

Thanks for the replies,

1) Linarosa, thank you for the links for the rock art etc and also info for Arnhem Land.

2) Shazdwn,

You can tell I'm only getting started, re my comment about 2 nights on Cooinda.

I will be Hiring a small 2 wheel drive vehicle and yes I do like walking. I would be interested in shorter walks of a couple of hours but if there is something special a walk of up to 4 or 6 hours would be of interest!

As for the time , I will have a vehicle for 11 days taking in Kakadu , Kathryn Gorge (maybe a quick drive to mataranka) and litchfield NP.

I haven't worked out the exact amount of days in each area at this stage, but I am thinking 5 or 6 days total for Kakadu (including Cooinda).

3)evamelb,

Thanks for the comment about Jim Jim falls.

It will be the last week of July when I am travelling. Not sure if the falls will still be flowing then????

If they are not, would you still recommend a visit?

Thanks again

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

I was there at the end of September and there was still a dribble of water at Twin Falls. Jim Jim Falls were still flowing quite well.

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

Ok thanks evamelb!

7. Re: Kakadu for 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 06:20