We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

We'll be taking the sunrise yellow water cruise on our last day in the area, then will head back to Darwin to overnight near the airport before a flight out the next morning.

I see on the map that it's about 3.5 hours from Cooinda to the entrance of Litchfield, then it's another hour on to the hotel. With the cruise being over around 10 am, should we try to spend a couple hours in Litchfield, or would we be better off going back on the northern road via Jabiru and see something that we didn't have time for on our way from Darwin to Jabiru?

After an early start out of Darwin, we'll have 2 nights at the Croc lodge in Jabiru and 1 at Cooinda.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

Why not play it by ear on the day? It's not like you need to book Litchfield. Once you've been down through Kakadu you'll know what if anything you've not experienced to your satisfaction. .. just based purely on the times and assumptions about what you'll be doing based on your accommodation choices... I'd say, yeah, go out to Litchfield. I believe you're there in may so some of the swimming at Litchfield probably may not be open, some things were still closed in June when we went (but there'd been a big Cyclone in the April that year so it wasn't typical). ..none-the-less, the falls are lovely and a couple of hours is better than skipping it altogether IMHO

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

You have to go back via the north road to get back to Darwin, unless you go via Pine Creek and back up Stuart up which will be about 4.5 hours at least. You cant get to Litchfield via the Reynolds Track which feeds onto Daly River Road and then Hightway. It will not be open that early and its 4wd of the good kind with a great big water crossing.

If you check out after your cruise and then hit the highway , you wont be in Litchfield until after around 2 .

You can swim in a few places at the moment, but some like Wangai are shut for swimming and walking.

Its then another 1.45 back to town at least. So you may get a few hours there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,406 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

If time permits I would certainly try & fit Litchfield into your itinerary especially seeing your so close to it...

At my desk
Level Contributor
271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

I'm a huge Litchfield fan so I'm going to push you to go to Litchfield.. but feel free to ignore me.

Australia's huge, so on one hand you are close to Litchfield, but on the other it's a fair drive away (being from the States I'm sure this isn't a strange concept).

Litchfield is amazing for swimming and wildlife- better than Kakudu.

Though Kakudu has mind blowing art and sacred sites.

It really depends on what you prefer, how much time you have and whether you want to be on the go the whole time or have time to relax. Have an amazing time.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

Yeah I think it is worth it if you don't mind the extra driving. Litchfield is different to Kakadu and has some great swimming opportunities - my favourite is Fllorence Falls.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

Perhaps I will change Litchfield to our first day, heading from Darwin to Kakadu? We pick up the rental car at a Darwin city location then we have 2 nights at the Croc Inn at Jabiru.

Would this be better? Then after the yellow water cruise we'd just head straight back to Darwin, northern route or southern?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

You could do that. I would leave Darwin EARLY! and make sure you are in LItchfield around 9.00am. Plan what you want to do and see and where you want to swim.

I would make sure though that I was back on the road to Kakadu by1.30pm at the latest as you will need to go back up the Stuart Highway and then turn right onto the Arnehm HIghway. To Jabiru from that point it will be a solid three and a half drive without stops,

8. Re: Time for Litchfield on the way back to Darwin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 06:16