We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Darwin and surrounds

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Darwin and surrounds

Me and 3 friends of mine are heading to Darwin from 7 to 17 aug. Just wanna know if it is convenient and safe to drive all the way to Kakadu, Litchfield and Katherine? Or it is actualy better to book a local tour? We would also a fishing trip. Any referrals of reliable tour companies?

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Darwin and surrounds

We've driven from Darwin to all of the places you mention more than once. We found the roads in the Northern Territory to be good, so I would definitely say it's convenient and safe to drive. Also, there's no need to spend the extra money for a 4WD vehicle unless you definitely know that you will be doing some of the 4WD roads in Kakadu and/or Litchfield. A regular sedan is sufficient for seeing the attractions I expect you want to see in those places.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Darwin and surrounds

The roads that you will be travelling on are all good sealed roads. The only item of concern will be due to the long distances between towns the fuel and food stops are very few in number so ensure that you fill up when you can. The most common danger is the driver getting sleepy due to the flat roads,heat and not much traffic and also many sections of the road are not fenced so expect the odd wildlife using the road also. Very large and long trucks also use the road so use caution when overtaking them.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Darwin and surrounds

Yes the roads are safe and easy to drive, just make sure you leave time to take a break along the way if you are not used to driving long distances. Good advice in the above posts too.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Darwin and surrounds

Very helpful advice indeed. Thanks

5. Re: Driving in Darwin and surrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:18