We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Which Kakadu National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Hi All,

Kakadu without a 4wd.. wow!

We leave in a little over a week and most of the places we'd like to visit are 1) only accessible by 4wd (and we are in a massive campervan) 2) do not take children 3) are massively expensive.

My question is.. do we NEED to book the campervan sites now? or can we wing it. It *seems like there are like 200 campervan spots on some of these sites and its tricky to decide if we will want to stay or go?

We are travelling with 4 kids under 10 (try not to be jealous).

Thanks!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

LOL Susan re the kids. as much as I love mine, I do enjoy breaks in places that " unfortunately" don't take kids;)

What camp spots have you picked for Kakadu?

Definitely book Katherine as those are always busy in the holidays. Shady Lane is convenient, nice pool, but it will be cool..

I can't remember your other posts, but maybe check out the option of a day tour there you do not have access - im my sure you will get a good price for the gaggle..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Sigh,

A tour into Arnhemland for us all is looking like $1200 (same IF we did Bungles which we've decided to skip and do as retirees). Similarly like $1000/per tour as all kids cost similar to adults and frankly 8 hours of the kids looking at *art/scenery is not going to bode well. IF they take kids. Jim/Jim falls etc.. OUT

I *should have investigated it all before booking flights. We travel alot (with the kids) but wow.. this one is challenging. Cost of flights.. it was $3K for an OLD motorhome for a WEEK for us so this *camping trip is going to turn my husband early-grey!

For Kakadu we chose the main one in Jabiru Kakadu Caravan Park and it has 200 sites available. And Aurora kakadu is our plan for the next night.. however, I am TRYING to book an Arnhemland tour so may just stay in Jabiru. So that is why I'm asking.. I imagined more drive when they were tired, stay when it was fun kind of relaxation not pushing to a tight schedule of pre-booked accommodation but I underestimated 1) the cost 2) the busYness.

THANKS!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Does your campervan need to be parked at a powered site every night? If not why not try parking at one of the national park campsites for a night? You can save some money and they don't take bookings so you can be flexible. parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/plan-your-trip/…

What is it that attracts you to the Arnhemland tour? The scenery is similar to what you can find in Kakadu and Kakadu has great rock art too. If you are after a cultural experience with young kids I would skip Arnhemland and do the Guluyumbi cruise instead. Would work out much cheaper too. tourismtopend.com.au/things-to-do/tours/kaka…

Don't forget the rangers offer a free walks and talks program, so activities at Kakadu do not have to break the budget.

Are you visiting Litchfield National Park as part of your trip? I am not usually one of the 'Litchfield is better than Kakadu' crowd - but it is more easily accessible and is good for kids, after what kid wouldn't love swimming at a waterfall?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Yes, unfortunately travel up here is so expensive . best solution for a trip like yours is camping with a 4wd. Im not sure if you could hire tents and basic camp pack. You can use cook kitchens at commercial camp sites as well.

I know its al getting late- but is it possible to book a 4wd and maybe do cabins ? At least then you will have the 4wd to do all your off road stuff.Or cabins..I know you will need two. But if you can ring the camp gournds and beg, plead re getting the price down? However it also usually means that one parent in one cabin etc.

If not then I agree with Shaz, you can spend two days in Litchfield doing all the falls and numerous walks. also near by on way back if you haven't had enough swimming there is Berry Springs and the Territory Wildlife park which the kids will like.

But you can still quite a few things though in Kakadu that will show you heaps- but you wont get the escarpment views with pools - mind you , you can get a nice waterfall at Edith Falls and Litchfield in numerous places.

Ubirr, Mamamula, nOURLANGIE AND surrounds etc. Have you checke dout the Bowali Visitors centre info>

Edited: 22 June 2014, 01:38
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

Jim Jim is the only major site in Kakdau that a 4WD is required and Koolpin Gorge but you have to book ahead for that. Also Depending on your rental agreement gravel roads may not be allowed so that removes Gunlom Falls, Christmas Creek and Flying Fox Crossing plus a couple of other not visited often places. You cannot go into Arnhem Land without a permit. So there is still a lot of Kakadu you can see with a 2WD. If you have a big motorhome then depending on the number of cars you could have parking problems at a couple of gorges (ok so they have a gravel road access but it is very short.)

Some tours do state that due to the nature of the trip, children under a certain age are not allowed for safety reasons.

Same for Litchfield NP there are some 4WD only tracks but most places are reachable by a sealed road.

6. Re: Kakadu:Do we NEED to book Campervan sites ahead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kakadu National Park