We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Which Kakadu National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

I am trying to decide between the Jatbula walk or the Twin Falls walk - with an orgnaised tour operator. Both are 5-6 days and read/look spectacular from the on-line brochures. Anyone have any suggestions which one - and which tour operator? I am 55yo and/but fit.

Also I should have time to 'add on' 2-3 days before after the walk and was thinking of somehthing that might hit the highlights of Kakadu in a more relaxed way - boat or small plane has some appeal.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Tim

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Hi

Sorry I don't have an opinion on which is the better walk, I just wanted to point out that the Jatbula Walk is not actually in a Kakadu NP, it is in Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge) NP.

Both are meant to be great but just thought you might like to know in case you specifically wanted a Kakadu walk - in which case, problem solved.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Hi Shaz, you look to be an NT expert so if I may can I ask a couple more questions? My friend and I have decided on the Jatbula Trail walk on 10 August. We arrive 7 August afternoon and plan to hire a car and make a quick visit to Kakadu before returning to Darwin on the evening of 9 August. So, if we leave for Kakadu on the afternoon of the 7th we would then have a full day on the 8th and a half day on the 9th. Any suggestions of 'must dos'? Any Kakadu accommodation recommendation? My mate and I would prefer separate rooms so apartment or cabin would be good. And Darwin accommodation? Thanks! Tim

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Hi Tim

Accommodation in Kakadu is pretty expensive, not sure what sort of budget you are working to. I'm not sure if you'll find a 2 bedroom cabin, you may have to look at two hotel rooms.

In Jabiru you could look at the Lakeview Park - it had some cabins and is a not cheaper.

Another option is Cooinda, either in the hotel rooms or the budget rooms. Be aware the budget rooms are VERY basic, but the complex has a great pool.

Book as soon as you can as August is still high season and Kakadu accommodation can book out.

Kakadu must sees - Ubirr and nearby walks, Nourlangie, Anbangbang Billabong, wetland cruise (either Yellow Water in the park, or if you want a cheaper option do one at Corroboree Billabong on the way to/from Kakadu.

Other options - Gunlom if you have time and are allowed to take your car on dirt roads. Maguk if you happen to be hiring a 4WD.

Enjoy

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Last year, July 2014, I walked with Australian Wilderness Adventures (now also called Trek Tours), on their Kakadu Explorer walk. One of the best walks I've done. Small group, great guides. We have walked three times with Australian Wilderness Adventures / Trek Tours. Excellent experiences every time. They are our choice for guided walks.

australianwildernessadventures.com.au/kakadu…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Thanks. We actually did our tour in 2014 with Trek Tours and had a similar experience. They were great. We have just signed of for another tour - hope we get Brad and Jacob again - but all the guides sound like fantastic people.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Hi Tim . Did you find Jatbula difficult. I would love to do it but I don't think I could carry such a big pack as they seem to expect.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Hi Nozzie (great name by the way), We had 10 on our group, 1 young and the other 9 average age about 55yo with a gender balance. All were reasonably fit ie. they had at least done several practice walks with full packs of 10-15km. We all quickly become walking and pack fit and the guides are good carers. They will not let anyone struggle for long. The only real issue we had on our trip was blisters and boots. Post-breakfast every day our guides did a foot and shoe repair session. Other than that the walk is relatively simple. Yes there are some climbs, but not too scary, and you can walk at your own pace and still finish the days walking in plenty of time to enjoy a relax in the camp. If anyone is struggling the guides will help out (and take some of your weight). My advice would be test yourself on a few walks near home, with pack (but make sure it is reasonably fitted). Then do it! It is a magnificent part of the world and a great memory and experience. Regards Tim

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

Thanks for that Tim . I/we are quite walk fit and used to walking long days (up to 30kms) but generally we only carry day packs so that is what is scaring me.

Off to Japan next week for 10 days walking. Will reconsider Jatbula when we return.

9. Re: Walking trip in Kakadu - which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2016, 06:17