We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red dust in the Red Centre

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Red dust in the Red Centre

I will be visiting in October this year. Will I find that red dust is going to be a problem, i.e. getting everywhere, staining shoes, clothes etc?

If so, any tips on how to minimise the effect

Thanks in advance

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
800 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Hi,

It really depends what you're going to be doing. When you're in town (eg Alice, Ayers Rock Resort) it won't be too much of a problem. However, we're not called the Red Centre for nothing. If you're planning on going out doing any bushwalking, then things like white socks will not stay white for long! Wear dark coloured shoes/boots when bushwalking and dark coloured socks and you won't have too much of a problem. If it rains while you're here, make sure you have plastic bags to pack dirty shoes/boots in, as red mud sticks!

Have fun.

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Thanks, I'madesertgirl. We're picking up a 3 night tour (APT I think) starting in Ayers Rock, then going on to Kings Canyon and ending up in Alice. I expect we'll do the Uluru base walk, so I guess red socks and shoes would be the ideal :o)

A good tip about plastic bags, I'll make sure I pack some.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Also maybe bring fly-nets walking around the Rock. We needed them!!

Tet

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Hmmmm..... probably can't get them in this country (not much call for them). I guess we'll have to buy while in Oz.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

You can buy flynets at the supermarket at the Ayers Rock resort.

We brought some on our 2nd day because the flys drove us seriously nuts! :-0

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Are the flies there all year round?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

There are fewer flies between may and august but there won't be many places in the world with that many flies like in Uluru. Eating something outside is hard and even talking can cause flies in your mouth so a flynet is recommended.

Tet

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

The only respite from the flies comes at nightfall when they disappear. Otherwise you need a net for your face all the time. I still have the red dust on my trainers, but its a nice reminder of Uluru. Great place to visit but one or two nights in ample - once you have seen the rock at sunset and sunrise, and perhaps walked round it, then that is about it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

But don't forget to visit Kata Tjuta (formerly known as The Olgas) to if you can.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red dust in the Red Centre

Tet, where did you stay at Uluru ??

I cannot bring myself to pay the ridiculous prices of longitude or sails.....A pet hate of mine is when hotels charge enormous rates because they have the monopoly to do so. We can afford it but frankly I just think its a rip off at those prices.

I was thinking of hiring a cabin at the caravan park. What do you think ? We will have a car....

Sorry ncisfan if I hijacked your post !.....