We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

Hi everybody

I have booked a room at the Sails in the desert (I've found a good offer on a booking site).

I am going to stay for only 24 hours.

I wrote to the hotel and they told me the shuttle bus to Uluru costs 50$ each...it sound crazy to me! 100$ only for 10 km?!

Anyway I need some advice on what activity I could do in such a short stay, which one is very worth having. I only want to see the rock and the national park and taking pictures and I don't need to ride a camel or a bike or staff like that.

Also some advice on where to eat would be appreciated!

And...I know we are in the desert and so there are bugs...but I really have a phobia and feel terrible when I sow one, so I hope there aren't many in winter.... I am so scared! (may sounds silly for someone I know!)

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

Firstly, no real bugs at Uluru. Perhaps a few mozzies (Aussie for mosquitoes), and you can get some spray on repellant. You can easily drive around the rock and Kata Juta in the one day if you hire a car. I think the resort have short bus tours if you don't have a car. Perhaps you could ask the resort. I can thoroughly recommend the 'Sunds of Silence' dinner which would fill the "where to eat" question. Or if you want a true Aussie BBQ you can walk/shuttle to the pub for a cook yourself BBQ with lots of other travellers.

Te things you shouldn't miss are 1, walk or drive around the rock and 2, the sunrise and sunset.

It is pretty special. Happy traveling.

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

Thank you so much ozziewanderer!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,443 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

Hi,

You best option would be to hire a car. Cars can be hired at the airport - booking ahead is necessary. Connellan Airport is approx 6km from the Voyages Resort. Rental Car Companies - Avis, Budget, Thrifty.

Cars MUST BE BOOKED well in advance to avoid disappointment.

One day is enough to see Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kata Tjuta (the Olgas.)

For additional information regarding what to do & see etc... read the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

The Sound of Silence Dinner is a wonderful experience if you are on limited time.

www.ayersrockresort.com.au/sounds-of-silence/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

The very informative Cultural Centre is a "must" for all visitors to Uluru-Kata Tjuta. It is open from 7am - 6pm daily.

environment.gov.au/parks/uluru/visitor-activ…

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

thank you all!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

if you are there for 24 hours your best option is to book a day tour. there are morning, afternoon or entire day tours. this is much better than a shuttle where you are dropped off & left alone once you get to uluru. the tour bus will pick you up at your accomodation & give you cultural information over the loud speaker as they drive around & then drop you off at the end of the tour.

my favourite tours were the uluru sunrise & sunset tours (great photos!) & the olgas.

two main tour companies are AAT Kings & APT. i toured with AAT Kings & were very happy with their service. i would consider booking in advance it you decide what tours suit you, i have meet people that missed out on a tour at uluru as it was all booked out.

have a great trip.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

I have been to Uluru twice. On the first visit, we had to rely on shuttle buses and tour buses to see the sights. It was expensive and we did not enjoy being herded around with 40 other people. We also did not like having to be confined by the bus's schedule. For example, we wanted to spend more time at Kata Tjuta, but had to get back on the bus. (This trip was many years ago and we were not advised that we needed to book a car in advance. Ellemay is on the money---Cars MUST BE BOOKED).

On our second visit, we wisely booked a car well in advance of our visit and drove ourselves around. It was a much better experience and a much cheaper one too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

Kanyini - An informative documentary to watch, especially interesting and important for visitors to Uluru. I think it may be viewed on You Tube.

italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

thanks!

10. Re: 24 hours to Uluru in July...advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:17