We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King's Canyon in a wheelchair

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
King's Canyon in a wheelchair

My wife and I will be in Alice Springs next week. We plan to have two days at Uluru and are thinking of seeing King's Canyon on the way back to Alice but as she is in a wheelchair I was wondering if she will be able to see or access much.

It is a long detour and accomodation is on the pricey side so I want to make sure it will be worthwhile.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King's Canyon in a wheelchair

Hello,

I was going to ask how mobile she is without the wheelchair, but the fact you're specifically asking accessibility matters with the wheelchair, probably sufficiently answers that question.

Around the accommodation and F&B areas, it's fine as they have golf styled electric carts to help you around. However, the walks would be severely limited, if not impossible. In 12mths, I only met one person on a wheelchair, and never had a chance to speak with them, but I have a suspicion that the husband went for the walk and the wife did not.

It's absolutely beautiful, but for the time and money, and that you may not both get to enjoy it equally, I'd probably advise against it.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King's Canyon in a wheelchair

She will definitely not be able to do the Rim Walk, but will be able to go about halfway into the canyon creek walk in a wheelchair. The Kathleen Springs walk has a constructed boardwalk and is fully wheelchair accessible.

…nt.gov.au/parks/find/watarrka#.U3mRj3bDVoY

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King's Canyon in a wheelchair

Kathleen Springs, yes absolutely. I hadn't thought about that, great mention Luigi.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre
Level Contributor
580 posts
1,950 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: King's Canyon in a wheelchair

Why not also consider a helicopter flight over the Canyon.

It is more spectacular from the air.

You can book this through the reception and the boys will pick you up from there for your flight.

5. Re: King's Canyon in a wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:24