We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uluru Climb Closure

Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
300 posts
152 reviews
Uluru Climb Closure

The Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park Board moments ago announced that they will close the Uluru Climb permanently on 26 October 2019. If anyone needs any further information there will be plenty available shortly on the Parks Australia web site. https:/…media-centre.html This is a significant decision for visitors and the traditional owners

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

Good.

Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
300 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

Full details are here: environment.gov.au/mediarelease/uluru-climb-…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

Good+1

Not sure why it can't just happen tomorrow.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

Should have been done years ago.

Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
300 posts
152 reviews
5. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

The symbolic date is the 34-year anniversary of the day the Uluru land title was handed back to its traditional owners, the Anangu people.

The two-year lull period is to allow tourists who booked trips to the red centre to complete the climb, if they choose to do so.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,594 posts
170 reviews
6. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

It is interesting that one of the conditions to close the climb is that it has fallen below 20%. Of course it has. They have done everything in their power to discourage people to climb it and when that didn't work, they found any excuse to close it. We were at Uluru for 3 days 4 years ago. We wanted to climb it, but every morning they said that it was windy. It was perfectly fine as far as we could see.

I hope they don't lose tourists because if it. I certainly won't be coming back.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,673 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

Seriously do people go to Uluru just to climb it??

I have been twice and -yes I have climbed it twice - but it was not a necessary or even an important part of either visit- and now understanding the sensitivities I wouldn't t want to do it.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

IT is no different to churches not wanting people tramping all over their alters etc. As a tourist you respect that, and this is no different.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

I've been twice and never climbed nor have I any intention of doing so.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,211 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Uluru Climb Closure

What Hamiriver said is how I look at it.

Considering how long a ban has been talked about I am surprised it's another 2 years.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...