We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Sydney
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Hi there, we are looking at going to Uluru and Kings Canyon next year in March next year. Just wondering how long we will need? We have two boys 12 and 14 and are looking at going with another family 1 adult and 2 15 year old boys. We are planning to see the rock, do an afternoon camel ride and also see the field of lights as well as go to Kings Canyon. Is there anything else we should do and how long is too long? We are looking at staying at Emu Walk apartments and also Kings Canyon Resort. WE don't plan to hire a car and were also wondering what is the best way to get to Kings Canyon from Uluru. We will be flying from Sydney and returning to Sydney. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Special Offer
Uluru Camel Express, Sunrise, or...
610 Reviews
from US$53.30*
US$59.20
Ayers Rock or Uluru, Kata Tjuta...
111 Reviews
from US$176.90*
Special Offer
3-Day Ayers Rock, Olgas and Kings...
25 Reviews
from US$437.30*
US$514.50
15 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Just wondering why you don't want to hire a car? It really is the easiest way to get to Kings Canyon from Uluru and the road is sealed the entire way. You can take a tour but it will be expensive with two families.

To answer your question, I have done a similar trip, with one night at Kings Canyon and two at Yulara. Basically my flight landed early afternoon and we picked up our hire car and drove straight to Kings Canyon, arriving early evening. It's about a 3 hour drive depending on stops. The next morning we did the rim walk, which took about 3 hours, had lunch, and drove back to Yulara in time for sunset. The next day we did the Valley of the Winds walk, and also the Uluru base walk - yes a lot of walking in one day! The next morning we took in the sunrise, had breakfast and then fluffed around until we took the car back for our early afternoon flight.

This itinerary worked well for me and my partner, but as I said, we had a car so could plan our stay on our terms. We did everything we wanted to do and didn't feel rushed. So yes it can be done over 3 nights.

Sydney
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Thanks Simone, no reason. We aren't set on hiring or not hiring a car. I was thinking we could fly into Uluru and yes hire a car stay over night at Kings Canyon do the rim walk have a look around and then drive back to Uluru and then stay 3 - 4 nights there. Probably 4 nights will be too long?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,385 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Hiring a car would be the best way if doing this. It gives you flexibility no your can.

1 night st KC and 3 nights at Yulara would be good. Then you could do it all without rushing.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

You definitely want to rent a car for this trip. Not only will it give you flexibility in your decisions of when and where to go, but it’s also going to be so much cheaper than the tours and/or the HO/HO bus. Having done it both ways with our family (first time without a car and second time with a car), I can say that “with a car” was SO much better.

On our second trip, we also stayed at Emu Walk Apartments and the Kings Canyon Resort. We found them both good choices for our family. (You might enjoy going over to the Outback Pioneer Hotel one night for the cook-your-own BBQ.)

Edited: 13 November 2017, 13:59
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,523 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Agree with the recommendations to hire cars and also with croman's rec for amount of time ... but if you did want to spend 4 nights at Yulara to have a longer vacation, I think you'd find enough to do.

We had 1 night at KC and 4 at Yulara this past April - but we split it with 1 night Yulara, 1 night KC and then back to Yulara for 3 nights. When we went to KC, we left at about 9 a.m., did a couple of stops along the way, as well as the walk to Kathleen Springs and the short Kings Creek Walk. At the KC resort we went for a swim and went to the sunset viewing gathering - https:/…sunset-viewing-platform

After doing the Rim hike the following morning we headed back to Yulara - with a stop at the Mt. Connor Viewing area and a short hike up (across the road from the viewing area) to see the salt flats.

Along with exploring & hikes at Uluru and Kata Tjuta, activities in town, the cultural centre and swimming at the pool, we kept occupied for 3 days (and didn't mind having some time to relax/read) ... so if you want to spend 5 nights in total to have a bit longer vacation, I don't think you'd find it too long. If you prefer to keep it shorter and do it in 4 nights ... as croman mentions, you can do it without rushing.

Enjoy :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Thanks all we have settled on nights at Kings Canyon the first two nights and then 4 nights in Uluru staying at Emu Walk Apartments. We will fly into Uluru on the Saturday arrive around lunch time, hire a car and drive to Kings Canyon. Then the next day we will do the rim walk and whatever else we can find to do stay another night at Kings Canyon and then head back to Uluru the next day. We will then stay 4 nights at Uluru and fill out days and include one day of doing nothing and having a leisurely swim and relax. We will only go there once and have the time so might as well spend it.

We plan to do the basewalk around the rock, do a guided walk to Kantju Gorge, do the Walpa Gorge Walk, The valley of the winds walk, do the sounds of silence dinner, camel back ride at sunset.

any other suggestions?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,523 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

Worth noting that the accommodations at KC Resort are OK for one night ... but two nights might seem a bit long. Standard of rooms aren't very high but prices are, and food choices are limited. Ayers Rock Resort is much nicer. If you want to go for 6 nights, I'd consider doing what we did - spend your first night at Ayers Rock Resort (perhaps just in a hotel room). This will give you a more leisurely start to your trip. Head to KC the next morning (with one overnight) and back to ARR the following afternoon for the remainder of your trip.

Edited: 14 November 2017, 02:27
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,385 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

If you can add 1 more night, I suggest you spend 2-3 nights in Alice Springs, 1 night at KC and the rest at Uluru. West McDonnell Rages are beautiful. There are a few beautiful Gorges where you could swim and veg out for half a day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

I also agree you should try & include the West McDonnell Ranges & a night in Alice. You could consider flying into Uluru & out from Alice Springs. You would need to rent a car if planning to travel to KC.

outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/west-ma…

Uluru - 3 nights / KC - 2nights / Alice Springs - 1night

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon

I think 4 days at Yulara is far too long. I think max 3 is plenty.

Kings Canyon, there are about 4 walks that you can do there - google Watarrka NP for a guide as to length and time- but all are doable with your aged kids,

KC has a clean good accom. Yes its pricey- but you are hundreds of KM from anywhere which explains prices. There are two places to eat as well which offer good choice for a short stay.

You could also look at Kings Station for some glamping.

I like the idea of adding on West Macs- but it raises more issues for you as to how to get there. If you want to continue on from Kings Canyon, you need a 4wd to travel on the Meerenie Loop and then you can get in the back way and access all the gorges ie Redbank, Ormiston, Glen Helen etc etc. Then you continue on to Alice .

If you dont want to do this and dont have the time, then you would have to go to Alice the Stuart and that is a 6 hr drive or so. Its an interesting drive if you havent been in the outback before. Easy also. You can do a night in Aice- but if your kids dont like museums then I would skip it. If they like mountain biking there are some great trails at the Telegraph Station and a bike hire. You could spend a day or two minimum in the west macs from here.

But I fear all of this is complicating your simple plans you started out with !!

Reply to: How many days to see Uluru and Kings Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...