We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

we are doing a family tour of Australia this xmas. we are due to fly into Alice Springs in the morning and then fly out of Ayers Rock 48 hours later (10am).

What should our ideal itinerary be for those 48 hours? Not sure where to stay and what tour if any to do or whether we are best off doing ourselves? obviously its our first time so any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

19 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,054 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

By flying into Alice Springs, you are really cutting down on the already little amount of time you’ve given yourselves to see Uluru. And by traveling there in the middle of summer, you are cutting down your sightseeing time even more because there’s little you can do in the middle of the one day you’ll have due to the extreme heat.

It would be better to fly in and out of the Ayers Rock Airport if you only have 2 nights for this trip, but if are stuck with these flights, then here’s a suggested itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive ASP at 10 am. Pick up rental car for 6 hour drive to Yulara. Check into accommodations and go to sunset viewing followed by dinner or do Sound of Silence or other evening activity.

Day 2: If you are early risers, you can see sunrise and do the base walk at Uluru before it gets too hot at mid-morning. If you don’t want to do the whole base walk, there’s a free ranger-led walk around part of the base at 8am. Spend the middle of the day at the Cultural Center and at the pool. In the late afternoon, drive to Kata Tjuta for a hike followed by sunset viewing. Dinner or evening activity.

Day 3: Sunrise viewing, breakfast and drive to airport to return rental car and fly out at 10 am.

There is a limited choice of accommodations at Uluru, but for a family I might recommend the Emu Walk Apartments.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
124 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Question, how are you getting from Alice springs to Uluru? It is quite a distance if driving. So when you say advice on itinerary whether you are flying Alice to Yulara ( short flight) or driving within 48 hours will impact what time you have.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Thanks everyone. The original travel agent booked these flights as they felt I should do the drive from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock and take in the sights. So although nothin organised I guess the idea was to spend day 1 and night in Alice Springs. Get up early drive to Ayers Rock then see sunset get up early see sunrise then straight to airport. However from this it seems I am best off just going straight to Ayers Rock? I am flying in from Melbourne

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Thanks for this. So helpful 😊

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

If you can change your flight, fly straight to Uluru. Don’t waste your precious time by flying to AS. While I enjoy the drive from AS to Uluru, it is not particularly scenic drive.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Oh my goodness- your travel agents sounded like they have no clue.. I wonder if they had any idea how long the drive is.

I would fly in and out of AYQ.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
124 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Hi

It is about a 5 hour 30 min drive from Alice springs to Yulara ( where Uluru is located). Many people underestimate this distance. In terms of seeing things I flew from Adelaide-Alice-Yulara and the view from the air of the landscape in central Australia was nothing short of 'spectacular'. From Melbourne (being southern) I hope you get the same view I am sure you will.

You have made the right decision to fly in with limited time. Highly recommend doing a sunrise tour, early start but magical. Also important to understand the significance of this place (Uluru). It is not just a big rock but so much more. Learn the stories it will really make a difference to your trip. Hope you love it.

Edited: 02 June 2018, 12:00
Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
307 posts
157 reviews
8. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Other posts are correct that flying into ASP limits your time in Uluru. However, that being said, having done the trip from Mutitjulu to Alice Springs return many times I would say that it gives you a great overview of the immense isolation and features of the Central Desert and will certainly be an education for you. Good places to stop along the way are Erldunda and Curtin Springs. Curtin Springs scooped around 4 awards at the 2017 NT Tourism Awards (The Brolgas) and for good reason. If you don't head straight to Uluru from ASP be sure to check out the Cultural Precinct and the Telegraph Station before you do. Longhorn in post 1 has given a great itinerary and I can't fault that. Only addition would be to try and see Field of Lights as well, but if you follow his advice you'll cover the key things in the National Park. We stayed at Emu Walk with our extended family of 6 last weekend for the Camel Cup, definitely recommended. If you are thinking of Emu Walk ask for the tri level apartments on the upper side rather than the two level on the lower side. I prefer them for multiple reasons

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
9. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

Thanks! Very helpful.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
170 reviews
10. Re: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary

I’ll also be there in December and just wondering what is at this ‘Cultural Center?’ I’m also wondering a accommodation for a couple? And last, best way to learn about aboriginal culture (I assume a tour)—I saw a couple tours and both had positive reviews. Thank you

Reply to: Alice Springs / Ayers Rock itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...