We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise/sunset

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise/sunset

We will have 3 opportunities to watch the sunset at Uluru. We are thinking of doing a helicopter ride at sunset one night, the next night we will be with a 4 wheel drive camping tour and I believe we will watch the sunset from a viewing point in the caravan park/camping grounds, Just wondering for the third night should we just use a hire car and view the sunset from the road near the rock or the other option I was thinking about was the Field of lights star pass, where you view the sunset from a viewing platform. What would you suggest?

Also have 3 opportunities for sunrise. One will again be with the tour group, so from the camping grounds. Considering the camel sunrise tour and one viewing from the roadside.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,711 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
10 replies to this topic
Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
257 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise/sunset

The Helicopter sunset will be great, from the campground you are around 20km away so whilst you can see it the rock is a fair distance away. Definitely try and do the field of lights but not at the expense of missing sunset from the Sunset viewing platform in the National Park, you're only around 2 km from the rock and it gives you a magnificent view. I was driving past tonight 5 minutes after sunset and it was still impressive and the carpark was still pretty full. You can do both by doing sunset in the park and then one of the passes to FOL. Likewise with Sunrise, definitely try to get into the park to see the sunrise from up close.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 12:23
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise/sunset

You can also do a sunrise Field of Lights which would mean you can still see the installation without missing out on sunset at the viewing area.

Both the campsite and the Field of Lights would only give you a distant view of sunset over Uluru. I would hire the car to get a closer look.

If I had to choose between sunset or sunrise closer to Uluru I would go sunset every time.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 13:03
Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,711 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Why not get right up close for sunset and go to Kantju Gorge - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4TaYOAVzV/… then after that go to the sunrise area to see the silhouette - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi_882LASHw/…

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Is Kantju Gorge inside the National Park? I thought you had to be out of the park by a certain time ?

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Thank you to those who have responded, it is really helpful

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise/sunset

We did a sunset at Kantju Gorge, had the place to ourselves, gorgeous. Yes it is in the park but so is the official sunset viewing area. You have plenty of time to get out of the park on time.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
277 posts
570 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Hire a car and go to the carpark sunset viewing area near the rock. People started taking up spots after 4 pm so come early. We found the best place to take photos was at the end of the parking near the exit. It was closest to the rock with fewer high bushes in the foreground, unlike at the other end. Amazing to see the rock changing color. Tripod is recommended.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,385 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Kantju Gorge is the bomb

anywhere in the park has access times...

Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunrise/sunset

Both the sunset area and kantju gorge are in the park. You do not need to worry about departure times as you will be out on time from there regardless as there is nothing to do in the park after sunset. If you have a few days there then it is definitely worth going to kantju gorge instead of the same regular places where you see the full vista each night.

Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
Level Contributor
257 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunrise/sunset

It really depends on what you want. Brisbane is right Kantju Gorge is excellent at Sunset (there's a reason Longitude 131 go there every second night). However, if you've got time do both as nothing beats the classic shot from car sunset (or tonight when we have major fires on the park and the smoke and flames are spectacular)

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reply to: Sunrise/sunset
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...