We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Topic
OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

I will be checking this posting once every day, especially over the next three weeks. When I check at around 9:00 AM Denver, Colorado (USA) time, it is 3:00 AM the next day in Auckland, New Zealand. I am hoping to write directly to some of you that help me!

We’re not sure if this is the best itinerary, we just want to have a lot of fun.

We have received some fantastic information from all of you at Trip Advisor. Now in the upcoming weeks, we want to put all of the advice to good use.

Yes, we are hoping for a lot more help!

We will be flying on Qantas Airlines. “The Aussie pass”

We will be arriving in Sydney on May 27. For 4 nights.

See the sights-3 day bus, train, and ferry pass. Go to Manly

Ayers Rock-2 nights

Million stars dinner, 5 mile hike around rock

Cairns- 5 nights

Go to Port Douglas

GBR 2 days?

Brisbane- 1 night. This is so we can travel over to New Zealand.

Taupo, New Zealand -7 nights.

Spend time in Auckland

Jetboat ride

(I will put this on the New Zealand and Taupo forum too) Someone wrote why the North Island and not the South Island? The reason for the North Island is because we have a timeshare in Taupo. We also live in Colorado (USA) and we have great ski areas, mountain ranges and a lot of snow in the winter.

Sorry about this long note.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Hi

I'm a Colorado buff too but you won't find anything in Co like Milford Sound.(no coast in Co-lol-) But North Island is great too esp. Lake Taupo, Rotorua and the Napier area. Your Oz itinerary is also great. Would have done almost the same. Maybe skip 1-2 days Cairns/GBR/PD and add one/two to Brisbane worth at least one whole day and 2 if you want to visit Australia Zoo 1 hour north of Brisbane. I'm not a real Zoo visitor but this one is great with all the indigenous animals.

Tet

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Thank you for your suggestions! Not only will you save us money (boy do we want that!) You will save us time also! At this time we can’t change our flights without a penalty. The only lodging we have set up is in Taupo, New Zealand. We are looking for inexpensive lodging. We don’t spend much time in our rooms! It needs to be safe, clean, and close to the sites. Any help would be great! I will read each suggestion and write back tomorrow. Thanks again!

Larry

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Sounds like a great itinirary! I wish I could go again!

If you want suggestions on what we did, see me golist"

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5317-Traveling…

Pan down to what may interest you, especially the lodging.

cheers

Kenny

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

We stayed in Manly in an oceanview apartment but it was not a bargain. The ferryride is one of the highlights of your stay though. Also count on high prices in Uluru (ripp off).

I like to make a compliment to Kenny. Enjoyed reading you tripreport!

Sorry, can't be of any more help.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Thanks Tet! Had a wonderful time Down Under!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

WOW kenny what a great golist! I have not been able to go through the entire list yet, but it looks like it is going to help me tons. I wish I understiood computers more, maybe I could put a golist together as well as you did. Thanks so much for you help!

tet14,

I sent you a message to your email. What do you mean "ripp off in Uluru"? Thanks for your help!

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

My pleasure. I figured my golist would help travellers enjoy the land down under that much more.

I think what tet meant of "ripp off" is that prices there are a rip off. Meaning you are being taken advantage of financially. The hotel resort complex is a monopoly and charges quite a bit to stay there. The most affordable places are not receiving too many positve reviews. Check on the website on tripadvisor and look at the choice of 5-6 hotels in Uluru and compare their prices and features.

I liked Sails in the desert but i really didn't like spending $350 US a night there.

cheers

Kenny

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Hi

You have chosen some fantastic place to visit.

Sydney -would recommend a day trip up to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. They have a cable car over the gorge and a old mining train. You could walk the Golden staircase approximately 1000 steps up or down.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

Hi

I live in Sydney but have been to some of these places. Some things to think about

Sydney

- a day trip up to Katoomba (Blue Mountains)

- The rocks contains some of our oldest buildings(convict built) and has a great view over the harbour

- Bridge climb -you can climb the harbour bridge takes several hours and you need to book in advance.

Cairns

Day trip to Kuranda -The one we did was approx AUS$125 -go up on the train, markets and butterfly farm(paid extra), onto Aboriginal site which had a small show of native dance, participate in boomerang throwing, watching spear throwing, small zoo with native Australian animals crocodiles, wombats, kangaroo(you can pat), koalas and lunch(smorgasboard) then back on the skyrail. A fantastic day(Tropic Wings Coach tours)

-went out to the reef. We chose a company that is based in Port Douglas (Wave Dancer Low Isles Reef Cruise). They picked us up from Cairns and drove us the hour north and back. We only went out to the inner barrier but they gave a spiel on the bus if you wanted to change and go to the outer barrier. We went to a very small island and snorkelled off the beach. The outer barrier you go to a pontoon. (Viator)

-we walked around Cairns shops. Down near the harbour they have a swimming area open to anyone. There are several shops that have amazing photographs on display(size of a painting) which you can walk around. I can't remeber the names of the photographers I'll ask my children see if they remember. It's great because it is free and they really are amazing.

-If money isn't an issue and you want to have some fun. We went white water rafting on the Tully Grade 4 all day -5hours actually rafting (R n R white water rafting) AUS$180. We also bought the video(extra). If you do this make sure your knees are covered or sunscreened well, my girls burnt both knees

Taupo

I haven't spent a lot of time in Taupo. I think there is much more to see and do in Rotorua(approx 1hour by car). If you do decide to do any day trips I would recommend going to Whakarewarewa -geothermal area with geysers and sulphuric mud pools.

A hangi for dinner is a must. We went about 12 years ago so cannot recommend any specific place but pick somewhere where they describe how the food is cooked(takes hours because it is cooked in the ground and the pit has to be prepared) and has Maori singing and stick games included. A very enjoyable experience.

Have a wonderful trip

10. Re: OK, flights are booked! Right or Wrong???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:25
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...