We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
9 posts
Save Topic
How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

We are on a RTW trip with 2 children age 7 and 9 and will be in Oz August 2010. We had planned 3 nights in Perth and 2 at Ayers Rock before heading to Carins/Cape Trib for 8 days but flights have been changed. Would you advise 1 night or 3 at Ayers Rock? We will be taking time off at the Perth end as are planning a longer stay in the one place afterwards. We have already booked accomo in the camp ground and are planning to hire a car.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

If your only choice is 1 night or 3 nights with young kids in August, then I would suggest just 1 night. While 2 days/1 night might be a bit rushed, I think 4 days/3 nights is way too long. There just won't be enough to do to keep everyone occupied for that amount of time because there won't be any swimming and evening activities will be limited because it's really cold at night. (Our first visit to Uluru was in the month of July and I have pictures of our kids there in the morning in their heavy winter coats.)

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

Depends on what you want to do... if you are planning to just look at the rock then one day is fine. If you plan to do things like air trips around the olgas or other tourism activities then you can extend your stay. Sitting in the campground at the rock for three days though is not something I would opt for myself but we are all different and seek different things from our travels.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

1 day / night would be okay - see link below for additional info.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

3 days would be okay if you were planning to drive to kings Canyon ( stay overnight ) drive back to Uluru or Alice Springs.

Alice Springs
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

2 nights is perfect because it will give you 2 chances to see the sunset and 2 chances to see the sunrises. You want to give your self options!

Try this on for size..

1st day - arrive, (depending on time of arrival - head to park to the Cultural Centre), then sunset, dinner.

2nd Day, Sunrise Uluru, Mala Walk and drive around base to Mutijlulu Waterhole. Then back to the resort for lunch. After lunch, drive out to Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and go on one of the walks there. Watch sunset over Kata Tjuta. Dinner.

3rd day, Sleep in, head into park again to Cultural Centre if you want to buy art or souvenirs etc, then fly out. Of course, that depends on the times of your flights, but you get the drift.

7 & 9, the kids are old enough to do some walking around, so dont limit yourself! As parents you know better then anyone what they can and cant do - get out there and truely experience the park. 2 nights is perfect for that. Any less and that will result in you just ticking the boxes - and who wants to do that!

Alice Springs
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

Silly forum - tried to edit, but it was too slow!

3 nights will be right - that will give you two fuil days.

Goto my suggestions for day 2, split the Kata Tjuta (The olgas) onto Day 3 arrangements, and on day two join an Indigenous tour with a company like Anangu Waai!

Day 3 sleep in, and head out to Kata Tjuta. Do a walk (Walpa Gorge or Valley of the Winds) and then watch sunset out there.

At 7/9 the kids are old enough to be able to do it - but you as parents know them better then anyone.

I guess, dont forgo the extra nights. Take them as you will use them!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,866 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

Actually i find 3 days with the kids an ideal time...do the touristy bits in the am...chill out by the pool in the heat of the day, oe even just let the kids have some feral time ; ) then you have sunset to do at least on one day.

Kids on hlidays get isck of continual sight see, somethime they just want a break and sometimes we do too!

UK
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

Thanks for tips. Still undecided though. Will it definitely be hot enough to swim in the pool in the afternoons?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

I know that we did not even consider swimming when we were at Uluru in the month of July, so I decided to do a little research to see what it would be like in August. According to the info I found, the average high temperature in Uluru in August is 73 degrees F. (or around 23 degrees C). Considering that the outdoor pool will have cooled off considerably during the night with low temperatures of 42 degrees F (or 5 degrees C), I would not be swimming in August.

UK
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

We've decided to go for the one night option. Thanks for the advice.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long to stay at Ayers Rock?

I think you can get a lot done with staying one night... When I went back in October, I arrived at around 2.30pm.. hired a car went straight out to Ayers rock, as my hotel room wasn't ready...did a few walks, and did the centre, then saw the sunset at around 6.30pm....

The next day I went to the Olgas... not as impressive as Ayers Rock, but still good... again i did a few walks... 3 to 4 hrs will give you a good idea of the place... dont forget you dont have to do all the walks...

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...
More Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park Topics